"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
Sous Chef

"you're not supposed to leave sweet potatoes out overnight after cooking them if you expect to eat them in the morning..."

Am I missing something here?? What does one have to do with the other? Leaving cooked potatoes out overnite, especially depending on what was added to them, I would not advise - they should have been refrigerated.

Eating them raw - is fine if you like the flavor.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Master Chef

Sure you can eat them raw. But, once you cook them you deactivate some microbe defensive enzymes - so best to store them refrigerated after cooking.

Gosh - it only takes 7-minutes to microwave a sweet potato ... wash it, wrap loosely in plastic wrap, slap it in the "nuker" - by the time you get out of the shower it should be done and much tastier than raw ... and you can add some butter (and maybe a dollop of sour cream) for that "increased fat" you were looking for in another thread.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
raw eating of Any root veg isn`t advisable during Pregnancy however.
unless washed and peeled (by someone else).

Toxoplasmosis is less than Ideal!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I love hot microwaved sweet potatos with no adornments whatsoever. I used to eat them for breakfast just to have something hot, healthy and easy.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

I've certainly eaten them "rare" with no side effects, in tempura and similar preparations where the slices were still crispy and not necesarily cooked through. As for leaving things out on the counter, I've lived in Hawaii, Florida, North Dakota, Virginia .... (I could keep going). My mom never put margarine in the fridge, so I guess I'm dead. But there is a big difference from place to place. In my pantry, some types of oil (peanut and olive) will actually solidify during the winter. In American society we err on the side of safety, as we should. But sometimes we're also paranoid. I'll leave things out on the counter overnight here, in my chilly kitchen, that I never would have in Hawaii. I actually might leave something out in Florida ... we didn't have A/C in Hawaii, so I was more careful. Here I don't have A/C, so I'm very carefull in the warm months. On the other hand, I can make ice cubes on my picnic table. I wouldn't hesitate to eat a sweet potato that had been left out overnight .... NOW. In July maybe not.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I've never eaten them raw.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #17
Cook

If I were you, Id cook a whole bunch in advance, preferably baked or nuked (not boiled.. yuck) and store them in a plastic container in the fridge. Eat them at your leisure.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

some basic info

This is a great site for all kinds of basic information with good scientific backup on various foods:
Raw Food Toxins | VegPeace.org

This is why it isn't sufficient to say "oh, I'm sure it's fine if you like the taste" -

"Sweet potato shows trypsin inhibitor activity. That means it contains an enzyme inhibitor that blocks the action of trypsin, an enzyme that digests proteins. The trypsin inhibitor prevents the digestion of protein. Sweet potatoes with higher protein levels have more of the trypsin inhibitor. This makes raw sweet potato difficult to digest. The trypsin inhibitor is deactivated by cooking.
One way the raw food diet helps people is by supplying food enzymes. Food enzymes do part of the work of digesting the raw food. Enzyme inhibitors increase the amount of work that your body needs to do to digest foods. Enzyme inhibitors force your body to produce more digestive enzymes. This uses up resources that could be used to produce detoxifying enzymes. When animals are regularly fed enzyme inhibitors in research, they become sick. Sweet potato should not be eaten raw."

The other info at this link is also really useful. Good luck, and trust your own research and not what someone writes randomly without doing any background work. If you're sitting in front of a computer to ask the question, you can find real answers with just a few clicks.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
Master Chef

Wow, this is sure an old thread.
BTW, does anybody know what ever happened to YT?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

He moved on to another site.