Is it safe to eat sweet potatoes raw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, this is an old thread

But it still currently pops up if you google whether it's safe to eat raw sweet potatoes, which is how I got here. The age of a thread no longer makes much difference. I don't want future searchers to get inadequate information.

Some of the older threads are really interesting. I'm only up to page 4 of the tips and tricks thread.

I always nuke my sweet potato. No wrapping needed, actually. I just give it 4 minutes and then turn it over and give it enough to finish it. It's so sweet and creamy it doesn't need anything, but I like my butter on it.

Turning the potato over midway is necessary because the bottom cooks first (probably due to reflected microwaves from the plate.)

My opinion

It's better to eat sweet potato raw. When you cook they lose some of their important vitamins.

I used to peel them and cut into small peices then toss in a salad, but will start to just cut them up with the skin on for more nutrition:chef:

I think they taste good, it is kind of similar to carrots.

Raw Sweet Potato

I saw it on live TV in the UK a few years ago,a programme feature about foods to be eaten raw and they said that raw sweet potato had more Vitamin C than citrus fruit and was extremely healthy raw and everyone in the studio tried it,some liked it,some did not...My 2-year old is a fruit and veg fiend and eats veg as a snack or for a meal,only that,loves raw sweet potato,carrots,raw onion,olives,spring onions,avocados,but "orange 'tato" is one of his favs! Certainly not after me!

Have a look at Ruth Heidrich's website, she had cancer with metastases and went to a raw food diet, and concequered it. I've just bought her cookbook ($5.00 online) and she sends you a PDF. She eats raw sweet potatoes. Have a look at it. It might just save your life!

Interesting ... I had just posted two Peruvian Cebiche / Ceviche recipes employing sweet potato or Batata; from Chef Gastón Acurio in the Appetiser Section ...

There are many type of native western African tubers which had travelled with the Slave Traders, Boniato, Yuca or Maniac or Casava, Batata ( orange interior sweet potato ), Ñame and Malanga ... all which are health beneficial ...

Interesting post.
Have lovely August.
Margaux.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. I love sweet potatoes just about any way they are prepared but have never tried them raw. Something I think I'll look into.

Now...for something entirely different. Some fact/fiction regarding the demise of Daniel Boone says that he died after consuming too many servings of sweet potatoes in a sweet potato-eating contest at a relative's home. True or not, just reinforces moderation.:rolleyes:

Batata the Orange Variety & Boniato the Cream Color

When speaking of sweet potatoes, let us clarify, which color and shape we are discussing; the sweet potato USA is orange in the interior with a crooked horn shape, called a Batata.

The Boniato, is a rough roundish ovalish exterior with a cream color interior, and very common in Miami amongst South Americans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.

Both are semi sweet tubers.

Have lovely August,
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom