"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
LOL - skirt steak and flank steak were really cheap until fajitas became popular. Chicken wings? They could hardly give them away before the Buffalo Wing craze.
You're telling me? I'm 1-1/2 hours from Buffalo.
Back when "the craze" was just catching on you could buy 5 lbs for $5 in the grocery store.... and that wasn't on sale. I think two or three bars in the closest city (Erie) were the only ones that had "wing night". All you could eat for around 3 bucks. 50 to go for $5. Nobody else even heard of them. And of course they didn't deserve a spot on the menu, let alone a second piece of paper to list all the flavors.
Terrible..... but that was a little over 20 years ago.
Hey..... wait a minute.... my chickens don't need wings to lay eggs

Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hey..... wait a minute.... my chickens don't need wings to lay eggs
pacanis, Marge's woodshed has just been renovated. Do you want to be the first one to see how NICE it is?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

This happens to me too from time to time, & when I come across a "well-preserved" package of forgotten frozen chicken, I use it in a stew or well-sauced braise type dish. If there's any loss in quality at all, it ends up well disguised.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It is safe to eat. Quality may not be as good as it once was, but it also may not be as bad as some people will lead you to believe. Cook it up and let us know.
You're recommending that it's "OK" to eat nearly 2 year old poultry? Frozen or not, it's in the trash. Let's be real people. Come on, Cuz. Is the $7.00 really worth it?

I'm the person that leaves a whole chicken in the sink to defrost. But I wouldn't touch 2 year old meat with welding gloves.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Worth it? Sure is. What is wrong with frozen vacuum sealed chicken that is two years old? As long as it has stayed frozen the entire time then it is as safe as the day you put it in there. Why would you trash something like that?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Why? Because a whole chicken is like $7.00 tops. I mean, if it's a kobe steak I might risk it. But the meat is so cheap, why even ask? Who knows how it was handled before it was packaged?

Just sayin'
Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

If you were willing to eat it before it went into the freezer then what would have changed? There is no next to no risk if it had been frozen the whole time. You say why risk it, but the risk is essentially the same as the risk you would take if you bought it and took it home and cooked it right away.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Dude....2 years for a chicken breast? Paleeeze. There's no way I would touch that. It must taste like shoe leather. Two months I could deal with, NOT 2 years!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

This was not chicken that was loosely wrapped with plastic wrapped. It has been vacuum sealed. No air is getting in or out.

I have cooked meat that was vacuum sealed and was quite old. I can assure you it did not taste like shoe leather.

Leaving a chicken to defrost in a sink can make you sick. Bacteria is having a field day in it unless it is kept below 40F. That you will eat, but you won't eat chicken that has been sealed and frozen on the off chance that it might have dried out a little? Vacuum sealing works amazingly well. If the seal has maintained its integrity then there is little chance of it even really being dry, unless you overcook it.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #20
Executive Chef

GB, there are alot of 'IF's' in that post. That's why I refrain from giving the OK. I realize the bird in the sink is not the "mainstream" way to defrost, but that's what I do. I only said that to show that I wasn't a Nervous Nelly when it comes to this issuue. I just feel the timeframe is way too long for that chicken breast to even be worth while consuming. What if the seal was not 100% on the packaging? I mean, Really? I'll send ya $2.00 for a new chicken breast. LOL