"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #81
Master Chef
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
Hmmm... I`m wondering now, the next time I get a dewar flask of liquid N2, I may just try putting some sealed chicken in it and see what takes place!

although I am somewhat concerned about the Formula involved?

does it work on a sliding scale where a lower temp can be the equiv of Age at a higher frozen temp? like F=ma F can remain constant by altering either M or A accordingly.

is there one for Temp and Time???
You remind me so much of Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Meaning no offense, I liked his show.

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #82
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
GB, I can understand why you will confidently eat a chicken that has sat in your own freezer for 10 years and I agree that's most probably safe. (I trust your judgment GB but I'll pass on dinner, LOL. See, there's this part of my brain that won't cooperate. Nothing to do with safety issues in this case too...) I can't even remember what I was doing 10 years ago when this chicken clucked its last cluck:-P
I think you may be misunderstanding me just a teensy bit. I never said I would serve 10 year old chicken. I never said I would eat 10 year old chicken. I wouldn't. I only was speaking from a safety standpoint. My only point is that eating chicken that has been properly stored for 10 years in the freezer will not, on its own, make you sick. Will it make for a delicious meal? Who knows, but I doubt it. Will it make you sick? Nope.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
....The point is, we can't make assumptions about storage conditions not visible to us, over such a long stretch of time....
Point well taken.
Just look at what happened to Ted Williams
Ted Williams Frozen In Two Pieces, Meant To Be Frozen In Time; Head Decapitated, Cracked, DNA Missing - CBS News

Pay special attention to the fourth paragraph.

I mean, if ya can't keep a human head safe.....
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #84
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
You remind me so much of Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Meaning no offense, I liked his show.
non taken, I`v never heard of the guy and can`t comment.
but Having said that, Yes Science is my Passion, I think it`s Gorgeous and Lovely and gives me the warm fuzzies when I think about it.
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #85
Executive Chef
should be perfectly good for soup or stew or chicken chili etc.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #86
Senior Cook
Thought I would let you all know that I cooked the chicken in question and it was fine. After thawing I checked it and it looked fine. I cooked by a new recipe that was very spicy (right now I can't remember the name)but anyway it was good. And the main thing was we didn't get sick afterward.Thanks for all your advice. Faye
schoolgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #87
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by schoolgirl View Post
Sometimes things just get covered up in our chest freezer and that is what happened with some chicken vacuum sealed in 2006. I know it has been frozen all this time so do you think it would be safe? I keep looking at it and wondering. I don't want to make us sick. These foodsavers do a wonderful job of sealing but is it enough? Faye

Don't eat it. When in doubt, throw it out. It's only chicken anyway. It's not steaks or Filet Mignon.

PastaKing is offline   Reply With Quote