"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Is my frozen chicken ok to use?

Sometimes things just get covered up in our chest freezer and that is what happened with some chicken vacuum sealed in 2006. I know it has been frozen all this time so do you think it would be safe? I keep looking at it and wondering. I don't want to make us sick. These foodsavers do a wonderful job of sealing but is it enough? Faye

Old 02-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl View Post
Sometimes things just get covered up in our chest freezer and that is what happened with some chicken vacuum sealed in 2006. I know it has been frozen all this time so do you think it would be safe? I keep looking at it and wondering. I don't want to make us sick. These foodsavers do a wonderful job of sealing but is it enough? Faye
don't think it would make u sick. however the quality of the chicken will not be very good.babe

Old 02-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I would use it. I remember my mother used things she had frozen for very long periods of time and we never had a problem. The only problem with chicken is the texture can change. Look at it carefully and check the texture. If it looks okay, you should be fine.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

It is safe to eat. Quality may not be as good as it once was, but it also may not be as bad as some people will lead you to believe. Cook it up and let us know.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Can I ask something here.....
What if it had freezer burn?
I just picked up some chicken wings on sale a few weeks ago and looked today and freezer burn is starting to move in. They are in the original bag.
Should I have taken them out and stuck them in a foodsaver bag after I bought them?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

The damage is already done pacanis. Putting them in a fooodsaver bag now will keep them from getting any worse, but the texture and flavor have already suffered if they are starting to get freezer burn.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Master Chef

schoolgirl - If it has been frozen all of this time ... yes, it is perfectly safe to eat. Since it is vacuum pack - you will notice little, if any, change in texture.

pacanis - Yep - I'm with GB. If you have vacuum packed it in the beginning you would have little damage to flavor or texture. Waiting until after the fact, the best you can do is accept the damage that has already been done and slow down any further damage - which hardly seems worth the effort at this point ... kind of like closing the barn door after the horses are already out.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks GB.
I don't want to have to throw out a couple more bags like I did a month ago. Chicken wings have gotten so expensive I try to buy a few bags when they are on sale. I wasn't sure how much quality would be lost since they are only going to get fried and grilled, but if that's all that will be affected I will repackage them tomorrow.
I will vaccuum seal them from now on after buying.

That said: (uh-oh)
When I moved into this house in 2001, there was a chest freezer in the basement that had foil packages and jars in it with date tags reading 1983. The woman who owned the place couldn't navigate the stairs anymore.
I threw that stuff out, too (lol).
Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

LOL - skirt steak and flank steak were really cheap until fajitas became popular. Chicken wings? They could hardly give them away before the Buffalo Wing craze.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Whew, I feel better about using it now. I sure did hate to throw those chicken breast out. I hate to waste food.
Those foodsavers are worth the money. I have found several packs of things just put in freezer bags that looked awful and would have to trash, but with the fs it still looks good for a lonnnng time. Thanks, Faye