"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Never never never use warm water. The water you use really should be 39 degrees F of colder otherwise the surface of the food will be in the danger zone and it is the perfect environment to grow nasties.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll have to remember the cold water thing. I'd only ever used that for thawing sea food.
I regularly thaw my steaks on one of those aluminum plates, turning it over and moving it to another spot on the plate. Never tried it with burger or pork and I never use the microwave to thaw anything because it always looks partially cooked no matter what the settings are on.

My question is, and this is off the actual topic, but falls under the subject line;
Is it OK to eat cooked meat that has sat out all night?
Whenever I cook pork chops (in particular) I like to make a plate for lunch the next day with the leftovers. More than once I've set a chop or two on a plate to cool down before covering with plastic wrap and refridgerating and forgotten them for several hours or even until the next morning. I usually eat around 9 at night, so we're talking 8-9 hours cooling off to room temp if forgotten until morning. Seems like I remember picnics when I was a kid where the chicken, meats and other foods were always air temp. We would take short day trips and eat when we got there. I don't remember any coolers with ice.
Look at the pig roasts where people are still munching on the pork sitting on the table into the wee hours.... not that I would know anything about that

Is there a definite difference or does it fall under, "When in doubt...."?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
I regularly thaw my steaks on one of those aluminum plates, turning it over and moving it to another spot on the plate.
This is OK to do as long as it is not longer than 2 hours.
Quote:
Is it OK to eat cooked meat that has sat out all night?
No this is just as bad as if the food was raw. When meat is in the danger zone (40-140 degrees F) for more than two hours then the nasties love it and multiply like you would not believe. It does not matter if it is cooked or not.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
GB, does that apply to Pizza also?
I`ve often left pizza in the box over night and eaten it next day (even cold).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Smile Good question, Pacanis...

I'll be interested in hearing the feedback on that one too.

I don't know anyone who has used cold water to thaw meat, only warm, so I guess I'd better pass this advice on to others too. Thanks, GB.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Well,

I guess by reading the info on some of these posts, alot of us should have either died or been sick along time ago. I truly would not be willing to bet that my Mom or Aunt would agree with the two hour thing of leaving meat out. I know they always, ALWAYS left turkeys out overnight to thaw out and such. My Mom thawed meat on the counter for all the years that I can remember. I don't remember anyone in the family ever having gotten sick on it either.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin
I guess by reading the info on some of these posts, alot of us should have either died or been sick along time ago. I truly would not be willing to bet that my Mom or Aunt would agree with the two hour thing of leaving meat out. I know they always, ALWAYS left turkeys out overnight to thaw out and such. My Mom thawed meat on the counter for all the years that I can remember. I don't remember anyone in the family ever having gotten sick on it either.
And millions of other people would agree with them as well. I will go back to the seatbelt analogy though. You can live a lifetime without ever wearing your seatbelt. You can drive 200 miles a day and never have a problem. That does not mean that it is a safe thing to do though. The chances of getting sick from food left out may not be huge, but if you do get sick you will be wishing you could go back in time and take those simple precautions that would limit the possibility of you getting seriously sick.

As for the question about pizza, I believe it would still hold true (although I am not 100% sure). If it is a pepperoni pizza or sausage pizza then it definitely holds true because of the meat. I will admit to eating pizza that has been left out overnight on rare occasion. I do not always practice what I preach, but I try to.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I take pepperoni, cut it up and put it in a glass in the cupboard to "season" it. Taking a few chunks when I want and eating them with bread. Learned that one from my dad. Come to think of it, the local store sells homemade pepperoni bread that you eat "as is" or warmed up a little. It comes in plastic bags with a label stating the day it wa made.

When I bought my old farmhouse there wasn't much of a cover on the well. I had the water tested and they told me it was OK for me, but not to let any young children or elderly people drink it. The woman I bought the house from was 85 and told me she always drank the water.... Still alive, too. She'd be about 91 now.

I understand the seatbelt analogy completely, but sometimes I think we can be too safe, too. Sort of like we are not supppopsed to leave hardboiled eggs sit out anymore, but how many places used to have them sitting on top of the counter and sell them room temp, or how many Easters did we just leave them in the basket and eat them with who knows what kind of dyes partly soaked into the white?

I can see why this is a tricky subject as there are so many ties from the past where some of these things weren't given a second thought.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Come to think of it, the local store sells homemade pepperoni bread that you eat "as is" or warmed up a little. It comes in plastic bags with a label stating the day it was made.
If you read that package though you will see that it says to refrigerate after opening.

Quote:
but sometimes I think we can be too safe
I respectfully disagree. Safety should be practiced to the maximum, especially when you are talking about life and death. These microbes can and do kill people.

I can guarantee that you would not think it is overkill if you ever got food poisoning. Every single person I know who has gotten really sick from food now takes every precaution they can to make absolutely sure that it will never again happen to them.

I can see what everyone on the "we have done it for years and never had a problem" side of the coin are saying, but for me there are many safe alternatives to leaving food out on the counter and most are as easy, if not easier.

If a restaurant ever left food out like that and served it then it would be shut down by the board of health. When it comes to food, I want to be on the safe side of things even if the chances of something bad happening are minimal. I have no desire to be on the toilet for 7 days and not be able to keep anything down. Just not worth it to me.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #30
Senior Cook

I have to go along with the school of thought that nine hours in a warm room is far too risky. You won't know if it's safe til you eat it, and then it's too late. If in doubt, throw it out. It's not worth the problems that could result.