Is my pressure cooker safe??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
I have a pressure cooker like this (from Elo)
rsc

I have just it several times (every day the last month) and have had no problems.

Yesterday I was going to boil veggies and as normal I filled it with 1 cup water and put the lid on and waited for it to come the pressure. When it reached pressure point it started to make a large noice and it came steam out under the lid on the left side (not only where the safety valve is). It also came steam under the handle.

I got afraid. Turned the heat off and used quick release to get rid of the pressure.

Later the same day I wanted to try again.
I washed the pressure cooker, used a towel to dry the lid. Chopped some veggies and had 1 cup chicken broth.

This time it went to pressure like normal.

Then the veggies where finish and I put the cooker in the sink and let cold water fall on the lid (not the valve of course). Like I have done many times before.

Suddenly I heard a bang and it was like something exploded inside the pressure cooker and the liquid the veggies where boiled in was in the whole sink. On every side and on the kitchen bench. I was standing 1 feet away, if I hadn't I whole had got the liquid on me :ermm:
Put the lid was still looked and I got not open it. It still indicated it was pressure inside.
The liquid has come out of the pressure cooker under the lid :ermm:

Is my pressure cooker safe?
What has happened to it?
How can I fix it?

You have a couple of problems here:

1 - steam coming out around the side of the lid. You were not getting a tight seal. This can be caused by a worn out gasket, the gasket was not put in correctly after being removed and cleaned, food got in around the side of the gasket, food was on the surface of the gasket. You seem to have solved the problem with washing it well.

2 - the bang. This was an explosion caused by the rapid expansion of superheated water. One good reason NOT to run cold water over a hot pressure cooker (you're taking a chance on blowing out the gasket or warping the metal the pot is made from). DO use the pressure relief valve to release the pressure IF that is what the instructions for your cooker says. DO READ and FOLLOW the instructions that came with your pressure cooker.

I think your pressure cooker is safe - but you might need to get a new gasket - you should replace this every year so it never hurts to have a spare one on hand.

Thanks for answer.

It says in the manual that came with the pressure cooker that I can use cold water so that is way I have been doing it.

I tried later the same day with another pot but with the same lid. In the beginning everything seemed normal but after 7 minutes it started to get pressure out on the right side off it.

Well, I'm not a fan of trying to cool a pressure cooker too quickly with cold water - for the reason you experienced. I don't like things going *BOOM* in the kitchen. Another reason is that running cold water over a superheated pot can warp it, although it doesn't always.

It sounds like you either have a bad gasket that needs to be replaced or you have warped the lid slightly. I would start with replacing the gasket. If that doesn't solve the problem you probably have warped the lid and might be able to get a replacement under the warranty because you were following their instructions.

This might have happened probably because of steam leaking out from somewhere. The cooker might not have been properly sealed or there might be some problem with the rubber on the lid. You probably get it checked before you think of using it again.

Back
Top Bottom