"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
the problem is simply this, the Freezing point between 2 items may differ, and so something on the Top that freezes will lead you to Think that it`s Colder, this may well Not be the case.
it Will be that it has a higher freezing point though.

think Salt on and icy road.
both may be Well below 0c, but it will still melt and run away down a drain making it safe to drive again, Right up to about -15c IIRC.

you can put Vodka in a freezer and it won`t freeze, is your freezer broken? nope, it`s just that Vodak`s (Ethanol) freezing point is much Lower than water, it`s still well below 0c though :)

That is what misleads many people.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
I agree with a recent poster who asked you to please log in and let us know that you aren't sick from eating tainted food.
My guess is the OP was another 1 post wonder? Or 1 post stand as I like to call 'em. I've answered a few of those and never heard how anything turned out. At christmas time I walked a guy thru making caramels for his wife for like 2 hours, and he never came back again....
unless it was just cuz of me....
maybe I should just stop talking.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
My guess is the OP was another 1 post wonder? Or 1 post stand as I like to call 'em..
Or maybe he ate the chicken?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #34
Executive Chef

LOL @ Jennyema :D

I think the part that makes Me curious is WHY do all the "Strange Chicken" threads have such a good longevity!?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #35
Master Chef

Good Lord - Four pages of people fighting about raw chicken. What a friggin' hoot.

First off, the OP doesn't or didn't have to take her supposedly spoiled chicken back to the store - whether she cooked it or not. Supermarkets these days are SO competitive, all she had to do was bring the receipt (which I ALWAYS save) back to the store & ask for a refund. Stores don't expect you to bring back rotten food. If you don't save your receipts, well just toss it, chalk it up to experience, & save your receipts in the future. However, even without a receipt, I'd still visit customer service & explain the situation. Chances are more than excellent that you'd get a store credit - even without the rotten food or the receipt.

Second of all - I always rinse my chickens & chicken parts & pat them dry (OH MY GOD - THE GASP FROM THE CROWD!!!!). I bring my plastic cutting board right up next to the sink & line it with uber-layers of paper towels. I then rinse the parts & place them on the paper towels. No splashing, surprisingly enough. I'm dealing with dead chicken parts here - not a small child taking a bath. I then place additional toweling on top, pat dry, move my cutting board over to my work area, & continue with my recipe.

Cleanup involves everything getting sanitized appropriately, & - amazingly enough - no one has yet to become ill or die from any of my poultry recipes. Go figure.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #36
Executive Chef

indeed, I also have many paltry recipes and no one has ever cried fowl either :)

YT2095 sits back and waits for the Hate-Mail...

Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Why am I the only one who thinks "take it back" rather than toss it. If you are 4-5 days short of your expiration date and it smells funny there's no way to know if you did it or it was bad in the first place. Less than a half hour in on a 50 degree day shouldn't have spoiled the chicken. Around here it takes a half hour for most people to get home from the grocery because of the traffic and just the whole "country" living thing. You don't know what could have happened but I sure wouldn't toss it, I'd take it back to the store because there's just very little chance that half hour it took you to transport it home made it go bad.

No, I wouldn't eat it, but I wouldn't just toss it. I'd definitely take it back for a refund or exchange. Our grocery doubles your money if their meat is bad.
I am guessing you missed my second post, #4, as you aren't the only one that suggested taking it back. I did not immediately suggest taking it back as he already started cooking it, and around here once you start cooking it they will not take it back.
Also our old fridge was like yours. The vent was just above the top shelf and it registered at 35.5, while the bottom shelf registered 42.7. Even though heat rises, the top shelf is right next to the cooling source. For this reason we also kept our meats on the top shelf, we just put them on a plate to be safe. The shelves were all spill resistant as well, so it took a lot of fluid to fill them up and flow over the sides and down to other shelves.
Our new fridge has a meat drawer in the middle with its own vent that has an adjustable temp setting.
It also had digital controls, my freezer is set to 0 and my fridge is set to 35. I am probably overdoing it, but I have lots of liquids in the fridge and I like how cold they stay.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
I think the part that makes Me curious is WHY do all the "Strange Chicken" threads have such a good longevity!?
And we haven't even discussed if the OP was having salad or not!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

I find it so funny when people say that no one has ever gotten ill from anything they have cooked. How do you know??? Illnesses from from food can take days to show symptoms and the symptoms can be as mild as headache or diarrhea. I don't know about you guys, but I don't call my friends and share with them when I have diarrhea.

Sure you can be careful washing your chicken. You can put layers and layers of paper towels over every surface you can reach, but water acts like water. What I mean by that is water splashes and you don't need a little kid in a bathtub to make that happen. Water comes out of the faucet and hits a surface. It does not just then simply slide down the drain in the same direction it was going. Some, even most might, but some splashes, even if you do not see it happening. The things that will make you sick are invisible to the naked eye. Water molecules carrying these toxins, spores, or what have you are not visible either. You may think nothing is splashing because you don't see anything, but that does not mean that is true. Is the risk high that something bad will happen? Probably not. That does not mean it is completely safe either though.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not rinse. I take the chicken right out of the package and use it as is. The one exception is if I see any solid matter that rinsing would remove.

Think about it this way. It you handled raw chicken and then just rinsed your hands under water would your hands be any cleaner than before you rinsed? They may not have sticky goo on them, but as far as being clean, would you then feel safe putting your hands in your mouth?

There is a lot of debate about rinsing/not rinsing. People who rinse say that if you ever saw the way chickens were processes then you would rinse. People who don't rinse say that rinsing will not get rid of those gross things anyway. It will just remove the visual appearance of them.
I do rinse my chicken, but not out of an illusion that I am somehow making it safer. Only cooking thoroughly to above 165 internal will help ensure that.

I don't like the slimy solution of broth and water most of it comes packaged in these days when you buy the frozen stuff.

Splashing is something you do have to be careful of. I have seen people use the hand sprayers on their sink to rinse their chicken, you could see all the tiny particles of water going everywhere... Yikes!