"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is my raw chicken spoiled?

We bought some chicken thighs the other day -- the expiration date was "Feb 23" and today is the 19th.

We had them in the back of our car while I went to another grocery store (about 15 minutes) and it took another 10 minutes to get home. The car wasn't toasty warm, but it wasn't a cold day either. It was about 50 degrees that night (we're in Texas).

It was in the fridge for a total of 72 hours -- closest to the door on the top shelf.

When we went to make the dish this evening, it smelled like sulphur. My instincts say that it was spoiled, and that we should toss it.

It was the last ingredient, so we threw it in anyhow. We didn't rinse it first -- I just learned tonight that I should have.

Anyhow, what do you think? I'm wondering if cooking it will kill whatever bacteria have multiplied on this chicken. Am I risking my health, getting sick, etc.?

It's cooking right now in the crock pot, and it has another 10 hours to cook overnight.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Matthew

Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

Yes you are risking your health, I would have tossed it. I just don't play around with chicken or take chances with it. I don't think there is any guarantee that cooking it over night in a crockpot is going to kill anything.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Raw poultry is just one of those dangerous ingredients ... I would scrap it and start over. I'm sorry, I hate to waste good food, but it is not worth the risk. If there's ever any "off" smell, don't use it, even if it's fresh from the market. ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Master Chef

DW had a good point, next time if you open it and it smells like sulfur on the first or second day you bought it, take it back!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Firstly, welcome to DC!!

What does it smell like now? I would still be inclined to chuck it but have a whiff of the dish now and if it isn't smelling like it should, stop now. Sometimes the smell on the chicken can just be from the plastic wrapping and will wash off - but not always. Did it look a little strange before it went into the crockpot or was it just the smell? If you think you want to continue with the cooking, just tread carefully. Try a very small taster and if you sense any type of taint, take no further chances. Whatever you choose to do, treat the chicken like it is most likely gone and you are looking for a miracle, not hope that it is okay and look for a problem. And if you still feel it is okay, well don't risk it on people with impaired or underdeveloped immune systems, like kids and frail folk. Stomach bugs that you can get from chicken can do serious things to them.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

With chicken you never want to take a chance. If it smells bad (and sulfur is bad) then get rid of it.

Also, washing it would not have done anything. The USDA actually recommends that you do NOT wash poultry as it does not get rid of any contaminants and only spreads the germs around your sink and anywhere else the water might splash.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The USDA actually recommends that you do NOT wash poultry as it does not get rid of any contaminants and only spreads the germs around your sink and anywhere else the water might splash.
Really?
I can certainly understand the splashing part. One of my worst peeves is "prepping" chicken by rinsing it and patting it dry with paper towels. I thought most chicken recipes called for rinsing and patting dry

So I can skip this step?
Or better yet, what do you do?

And I would have chucked it or taken it back, Cath. Like discussed here before, it's not that uncommon to get rank food within the sell by date, but then, I never stop anywhere after grocery shopping. Even if it's freezing outside, I don't like the food to be in the car with the heater on any longer than it has to be.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
Head Chef

Glad I am not eating it. Definitely TOSS it.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So I can skip this step?
Or better yet, what do you do?
I do not rinse. I take the chicken right out of the package and use it as is. The one exception is if I see any solid matter that rinsing would remove.

Think about it this way. It you handled raw chicken and then just rinsed your hands under water would your hands be any cleaner than before you rinsed? They may not have sticky goo on them, but as far as being clean, would you then feel safe putting your hands in your mouth?

There is a lot of debate about rinsing/not rinsing. People who rinse say that if you ever saw the way chickens were processes then you would rinse. People who don't rinse say that rinsing will not get rid of those gross things anyway. It will just remove the visual appearance of them.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
H2S (Hydrogen sulphide) is a result of certain proteins breaking down due to microbial action, if you like consider it a Waste product of this action.

Deep 6 it!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote