"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Is my turkey safe?

I have a 12.3 lb butterball turkey, its unstuffed and i dont plan on stuffing it. I took it out (put in fridge) sunday at noon, and today when i felt it it felt a little hard, so when i got it open i pulled the inside stuff out, it did come out with no problems but was frozen and there was some chunks of ice in it. THe breast part felt fine but the bottom that was sitting on the fridge shelf felt a little stiff and cold.

It felt mostly thawed but some parts were stiff like if i push on it it took a second to come back up, so a little frozen i guess. So i ran it under cool water out of is wrapping for 20 mins and it felt better to me, wasn't making the frozen noise u hear when u press frozen stuff and felt ok, just really cold, the water i ran on the inside wasn't getting super super cold but was pretty cold.

Would it be good to cook at this point?

Ive never cooked a turkey before so im not a good judge but im paranoid of getting sick.

wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Head Chef
In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, yes. Thawing in the refrigerator and under cold running water, is the appropriate way to thaw.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Sounds just fine to me as well..Get it into a pan and a nice hot oven and enjoy it tonight
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
Yep that should be safe.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Yes, this is how I always defrost my turkey. Just make sure you take the bag of "innards" out before you cook it!
Map out your future - but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip. Jon Bon Jovi
Yahoomom is offline   Reply With Quote