Is my turkey safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wifey

Assistant Cook
I have a 12.3 lb butterball turkey, its unstuffed and i dont plan on stuffing it. I took it out (put in fridge) sunday at noon, and today when i felt it it felt a little hard, so when i got it open i pulled the inside stuff out, it did come out with no problems but was frozen and there was some chunks of ice in it. THe breast part felt fine but the bottom that was sitting on the fridge shelf felt a little stiff and cold.

It felt mostly thawed but some parts were stiff like if i push on it it took a second to come back up, so a little frozen i guess. So i ran it under cool water out of is wrapping for 20 mins and it felt better to me, wasn't making the frozen noise u hear when u press frozen stuff and felt ok, just really cold, the water i ran on the inside wasn't getting super super cold but was pretty cold.

Would it be good to cook at this point?

Ive never cooked a turkey before so im not a good judge but im paranoid of getting sick.

In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, yes. Thawing in the refrigerator and under cold running water, is the appropriate way to thaw.

Sounds just fine to me as well..Get it into a pan and a nice hot oven and enjoy it tonight
kadesma

Yes, this is how I always defrost my turkey. Just make sure you take the bag of "innards" out before you cook it!

Back
Top Bottom