ISO advice on mayo or butter, mixed with other things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm back

The OP is new to this site and did not know she would not get email messages alerting her to responses. I meant store-bought mayo, as homemade usually does not come with an expiration date. Thanks for all the info and weighing-in; it seems safest to take a majority view and use mayo concoctions within a couple of days, freeze the ones made of butter in an airtight non-plastic container, and mix non-H20-based ingredients where viable. BTW I keep mayo around forever too, though I don't know how long forever is in our house, maybe six months? And I'm still alive.

When I use mayo to make something like aioli, or tarragon mayo, or tartar sauce, I keep any leftovers for 2-3 days tops, then toss. However, I'm also one who keeps opened jars of mayo in the fridge until they're used up - definitely longer than 2 months.

As far as flavored or "compound" butters, they are TERRIFIC kept in the freezer for many months. I can't give you an exact shelf life because I always use mine up fairly soon (as I try to do everything in my freezer on a regular basis). But making compound butters, rolling them into logs, wrapping well, & freezing is a longtime safe method of having them on hand to slice onto grilled meats & fish. And the quality does NOT suffer.

Back
Top Bottom