ISO baking soda advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never actually heard of baking soda going bad unless it gets wet or contaminated with something.

Baking soda will lose its oomph over time. I think the general rule is that you should replace the can after 6 months. I had a girlfriend who wasn't much of a baker but she got in a tough place financially and was trying to use up what she had in the kitchen so she didn't have to spend any money on groceries. She made biscuits from some old baking soda. They looked great but you could have used them for hocky pucks. They were literally too hard to eat.

Baking soda will lose its oomph over time. I think the general rule is that you should replace the can after 6 months...

This statement is true of baking powder. Baking powder cans have an expiration date on them.

Baking soda will last probably forever.

Hmm, did the original poster mean lose it's oomph for absorbing odour?

I think it's usually good for three months, though Arm & Hammer says to change the box every 30 days. I extend the life of a box of baking soda in the fridge by shaking or stirring it once in a while to expose "new" baking soda to the air.

Hmm, did the original poster mean lose it's oomph for absorbing odour?

I think it's usually good for three months, though Arm & Hammer says to change the box every 30 days. I extend the life of a box of baking soda in the fridge by shaking or stirring it once in a while to expose "new" baking soda to the air.

Supposedly it's a myth that baking soda absorbs odor ...

Supposedly it's a myth that baking soda absorbs odor ...

Just like with charcoal, baking soda chemically locks with certain odors, changing them so your nose can no longer detect them... the same principle that makes Febreeze so successful.

Science and chemistry in action! ;)

Baking soda is stable until it is exposed to acid. Kept reasonably isolated from contamination it will last for years. I had a child who as a teen tried a door to door sales job for which he needed baking soda to do a demonstration. He bought about 30 pounds. The job lasted a month. I am still using the soda successfully 15 years later. I wonder what soda costs now? In another year or two I will need a box...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom