"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
alisontomsmum's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: warrington, england
Posts: 82
ISO info about health and safety regs in UK

I would love to start a baking and cake decorating business from home in a couplke of years, but dont know where to start in getting my kitchen kitted up for the job. I have heard you need 2 sinks, but thats all i can find out. Do my counters need to be stainless steel? Do i need a dishwasher, what health and safty qualifications do i need?

Is there a list anywhere.... have tried google and FSA website, but found nothing!!


alisontomsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Master Chef
Michael in FtW's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
You will probably be able to get the information you need from either the Enviromental Health Office or the Food Safety Team (which appears to be a part of the EHO). I would suggest starting by calling the Warrington Borough Council - tel: 01925 443322
They should be able to tell you who you need to talk to - and they can help you obtain the information you need.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Executive Chef
miniman's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Basingstoke, England
Posts: 4,687
Michael is right - you need to speak to the local enviromental Health Officers - you should be able to get all the regs from them. Warrington Council should be able to get you the right number to contact.

The list is probably quite long and I think you may need to be licensed as a food business & and any food handlers have to have an appropriate qualification.

Two sinks is right - 1 is for dishes & food prep, the other is for washing hands. The whole area needs to be spotless which is why a lot of places have metal tops & cupboards.

Best bet is to talk to an environmental health officer and go from there.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.