Keeping Egg Salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i made a large batch of egg salad for a party. one and a half dozen eggs :question::question::question: to be exact. party was supposed to be sun. postponed til wed. made this on sat. how long can i safely keep in fridge? hate to throw away that many eggs. to say nothing of the work involved.

what do you guys think?

babe :question:

Well, babetoo, let's review the standard answers.

1. I'd toss it
  2. I'd keep it
  3. Toss it out "just to be safe"
  4. When in doubt, throw it out
  5. Properly refrigerated it should be OK.
  6. If you've ever had food poisoning, you'd wouldn't take the chance.
  7. etc., etc.
You get the idea.

Personally, 4 days is at the limit in my mind.

Is the egg salad going to be out at room temperature for an extended period? That could make the situation worse.

that is what i am thinking too. wed is just pushing it to hard. guess i'll make more. i think i made way to much for nine people anyway. so will just do a dozen. bummer. eggs are so expensive. thanks, guess i just needed someone to agree with me. lol

Don't want to be visiting babetoo's house in the next few days... not with all that egg salad she'll be eating. :LOL:

We need a uses for egg salad thread. ;)

:LOL: @ pac.

What a bummer, Babe!! I'm thinking three days would be my limit. I'd share it with neighbors today, rather than throw the rest of it out on Wed. Just a thought. ;)

Last edited:
Isn't it funny that if you had not cooked the eggs and added your filling ingredients, all of that would still be fresh in the refrigerator past Wednesday???:rolleyes:

Isn't it funny that if you had not cooked the eggs and added your filling ingredients, all of that would still be fresh in the refrigerator past Wednesday???:rolleyes:

There's definitely something to be said for procrastinating here :)

There's definitely something to be said for procrastinating here :)

And for raising one's own FRESH eggs.;)

Maybe contact a halfway house or shelter and find out if the residents would eat it...I'm a little late chiming in--been too busy.

Last edited:
Can you donate the excess to a soup kitchen? Your neighbors? Make sandwich rolls and add some bacon and cheese? :chef: It must be taking up a lot of room in your fridge.:ohmy:

According to the USDA site, it should be safe in the fridge for 3-5 days. (scroll close to bottom) Saturday to Wednesday is right in the middle at 4 days.

However, food quality would be at the low end after 4 days and I would not want to serve it to company.

Keep Food Safe! Food Safety Basics

I had way too much egg salad this past week. Gave some to my brother but the rest went into egg salad sandwiches. Also used some for my potatoe salad, some for tuna and egg sandwiches (try it you'll like it.) And some went into a tuna and pasta salad.

I would keep it for 3-4 days. If you started with fresh eggs it will be fine. Just my opinion but I've never had food poisoning from my own food.
If your really made way too much you could like the others said just donate it to charity of sorts. Maybe make sandwiches for a childrens home or something?

I wouldn't keep prepared food for more than a couple of days unless frozen of course.

Back
Top Bottom