"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
That's good info to have but it won't affect me here for two reasons:

1) No running hot water in my kitchen in the Phils

2) We never have egg wash left over....if my hubby makes French toast he keeps soaking bread until the wash is gone.

But seriously, good info, I never knew that. I'll pass that along...thanks!
You don't need running water just ANY hot liquid - hot coffee, hot tea, hot soup, draining water from boiled eggs or pasta ANYTHING HOT!!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If I could figure out a way to have a hard boiled egg just contain the yolk, I'd be in heaven! lol
I got a double yolker just the other week. First one in three years, but then it's the first carton of eggs I've had to buy in three years. My hens have never given me a double yolker.
I'll send you my yolks if you send me your whites!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
If I beat an egg and dip a fish fillet in it, can I refrigerate the egg and use it safely the next day for another fish fillet?
Absolutely, unequivocably, NO! You are violating numerous food safety guidelines. First, there's the issue of cross-contamination. Secondly, you are dramatically increasing the possibility of food-borne illnesses such as salmonela.

Left-over egg wash should always be discarded.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Actually...Left over egg wash should go to the dog!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like a good trade, joesfolk!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
Absolutely, unequivocably, NO! You are violating numerous food safety guidelines. First, there's the issue of cross-contamination. Secondly, you are dramatically increasing the possibility of food-borne illnesses such as salmonela.

Left-over egg wash should always be discarded.
Could you elaborate please? If both fillets come from the same package/fish, where does the cross-contamination come in? How does it increase the chance of salmonella? I'm not challenging you, I just want to understand. Of course I'll pour it out if there is danger in using it.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

My guess is the cross contamination is between the egg wash and the fish. You are running a protein through the eggwash and saving the wash for future (albeit soon) use. That's just a guess though.
I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned anything yet, but I bet they would have if you were using chicken
That said, I just brushed a loaf of bread and am putting my eggwash into the fridge
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My guess is the cross contamination is between the egg wash and the fish. You are running a protein through the eggwash and saving the wash for future (albeit soon) use. That's just a guess though.
I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned anything yet, but I bet they would have if you were using chicken
That said, I just brushed a loaf of bread and am putting my eggwash into the fridge
Ain't that the truth! Everybody goes nuts when chicken safety comes up. I know there can be serious consequences for improper handling, but I'd really like to know some of the science behind my particular scenario. Does the original fish put something in the eggwash that makes it dangerous the next day on a second piece of the same fish? FincaPerlitas - looks like we all need a science lesson here! Please help.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #29
Head Chef

If you were doing it in a commercial kitchen, I am sure the health department would fuss. BUT--if, as I assume, you are keeping everything cold, your hands are clean or you are using a fork, you are not leaving the egg out for an hour while you bread a hundred pounds of fish, there are not 15 people running in and out of your kitchen while you are working carrying in dirty plates with the germs of a hundred people on them--I just don't see a problem.

If you went ahead and breaded both pieces of fish, and stuck one in the fridge to cook tomorrow, nobody would worry about it at all.

But, if it worries you at all, toss the egg, and break a new one.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
It doesn't take much heat to cook an egg. And BTW thats what my mom did. Well actually she made breaded cutlets and pasta. The pasta water cooked the egg in the drain.

i plugged up my sink twice awhile ago. the first was cheese down the garbage disposal and then hot water. melted the cheese, it was shredded and not much of it either. then another time, believe it or not it was uncooked rice, very hot water, and then i had mushy rice plugging everything up. so i am very careful and use only cold water .

Tags
egg