Keeping egg wash...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laury

Senior Cook
If I beat an egg and dip a fish fillet in it, can I refrigerate the egg and use it safely the next day for another fish fillet?

Hey, than you for asking this, Laury!
I was wondering this a few days ago when I brushed a loaf of French bread with an eggwash. Eggs are not something I'm in short supply of, but it seemed like such a waste to dump the eggwash when the only thing that touched it was a small whisk and a silicon brush.

Does anyone know how long it would keep? A week? (I'm hoping)

Hey, than you for asking this, Laury!
I was wondering this a few days ago when I brushed a loaf of French bread with an eggwash. Eggs are not something I'm in short supply of, but it seemed like such a waste to dump the eggwash when the only thing that touched it was a small whisk and a silicon brush.

Does anyone know how long it would keep? A week? (I'm hoping)
In your case I would just make scrambled egg the next day. It only touched bread and just put it between 2 slices of the bread you brushed it with! LOL

I have heard that you can keep egg whites four days, and egg yolks two days, but these may be wives tales???

In your case I would just make scrambled egg the next day. It only touched bread and just put it between 2 slices of the bread you brushed it with! LOL

I gotta have yellow in my scrambled eggs ;)
It was egg white and a TBS of water. One of my dogs got the yolk :)

Now I'm really glad I saved the egg. Another catfish fillet with Panko breading tonight. Roasted baby bok choi and Basmati rice on the side. A few squirts of lemon and YUM!

I gotta have yellow in my scrambled eggs ;)
It was egg white and a TBS of water. One of my dogs got the yolk :)
OH my egg wash is whole egg. Did you say whites only? Sorry. BTW I have had yolks left from recipes that only needed whites. I just put extra yolk in my next scrambled eggs. Never come across a double yolker when making scrambled? I got one just the other day. I was making scrambled by family request otherwise those would have been MY over easy!! I LOVE yolks!! If I could figure out how to just fry yolks to dip my rye toast in I would be in heaven!! LOL

If I could figure out a way to have a hard boiled egg just contain the yolk, I'd be in heaven! lol
I got a double yolker just the other week. First one in three years, but then it's the first carton of eggs I've had to buy in three years. My hens have never given me a double yolker.

I'm glad to see this come up, too. Thanks, Laury!
I had the same Q, just two days ago, after french toast, too, wouldn't you know, pacanis! And, I do like panko breaded proteins. In the past, I had almost always chucked the egg down the drain, better safe than sorry, but now I will start to refrigerate it for a day or two just in case.

I'm glad to see this come up, too. Thanks, Laury!
I had the same Q, just two days ago, after french toast, too, wouldn't you know, pacanis! And, I do like panko breaded proteins. In the past, I had almost always chucked the egg down the drain, better safe than sorry, but now I will start to refrigerate it for a day or two just in case.
DON'T put raw egg down the drain. Some will settle in the elbow trap and the next hot water will cook it and clog the pipe. It happened to my mom. Wipe out the bowl with a paper towel into the garbage bag.

Now that's some interesting info. When I separate an egg I always do it over the drain.

DON'T put raw egg down the drain. Some will settle in the elbow trap and the next hot water will cook it and clog the pipe. It happened to my mom. Wipe out the bowl with a paper towel into the garbage bag.
That's good info to have but it won't affect me here for two reasons:

1) No running hot water in my kitchen in the Phils

2) We never have egg wash left over....if my hubby makes French toast he keeps soaking bread until the wash is gone. :LOL:

But seriously, good info, I never knew that. I'll pass that along...thanks!

And then, I might've followed with a pour of boiling water down the drain mistakenly thinking that the dissolving heat would help clear the pipe...
It doesn't take much heat to cook an egg. And BTW thats what my mom did. Well actually she made breaded cutlets and pasta. The pasta water cooked the egg in the drain.

Back
Top Bottom