Keeping Tea more than 1 day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelyan

Assistant Cook
I have been making tea for a long time. Usually about 1/2 gallon at a time. There are two people who drinks the tea. Last about a week. Have never suffered any ill effects. Here lately I hear that you should not store home made tea longer than one day. Has anyone else heard this? Thank You

No but I'm interested as well. I make a gallon at a time and keep it in the fridge for us to drink. It takes about 2 weeks for DH to finish it.

McNerd ... where are you? I know you'll know!

I have never heard that you can't keep tea for more than a day. I could see not going longer than 10-14 days (and keeping it in the fridge), but you can certainly keep it longer than a day.

I too frequently make iced tea & keep it in the fridge for a good 2 weeks with no problems. And regardless of what "experts" pipe up here to the contrary, I'll continue to do so. :)

I believe that the problem is with holding brewed tea at room temperature for more than a day. After a few hours it will begin to sour and then within a day or two will begin to grow mold. I make a gallon and keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks without a problem.

I heard the same thing as Cheylan but it was referring to sun tea since the water doesn't get boiling. Making tea by boiling water then steeping the tea can keep for longer. I was under the impression that since sun tea steeps as the water only warms is the process that can go bad quickly. I know my tea made the traditional way lasts a long time. I have some in the fridge that's 2 weeks old and still good. The amount of sugar added will affect how long it lasts also. Less sugar, longer life (both tea and drinker!).

Since I've never gotten sick from it, I don't think old tea is a problem for adults. On the chance that there are bacteria or mold growing in it, you might want to keep it away from kids, since their immune system isn't as well developed. (I don't know if there's anything harmful, but I've seen commercial tea makers that say "wash and sanitize daily.")

I believe that the problem is with holding brewed tea at room temperature for more than a day. After a few hours it will begin to sour and then within a day or two will begin to grow mold...

Are you serious? I haven't done it in a while. But used to brew tea essence, and kep it in the little tea pot in the cabinet for at least a week or so. Never had any problem, never.

I've found that if it is at room temp that it acquires a rather slimy texture. So not then. But in the fridge for several days has always been OK for me. As others have said, I, too, make it up a half gallon at a time, all sorts of tea, and as soon as it is cool enough, into a glass pitcher and into the refrigerator. Never had a problem. Sun tea actually has to sit out for awhile, yet I've never had a problem with it, either.

No, I haven't heard this from anyone. Over the ages, we heard nothing that suggests that tea is bad for our health. Furthermore, the tea could be served as a cold beverage or a hot beverage and it could be stored over many days. We noticed that big tea companies are selling iced tea on the shelves of supermarkets.

when i had more family members in my home, made lots of sun tea and kept in fridge. never lasted longer than three days. now for me i buy crystal light......can't have sweet tea with reg. sugar, this has splenda. it last me at least a week, doesn't seem to be a problem

We use the Crystal Light too. It really took a jolt for us to start, but now that we are used to it, we're ok with it. We keep it in the fridge no matter what kind it is.

i've never heard of that myself. i make tea all year long and have for several years. it will last in the fridge for up to one week before going bad. i make the tea by the gallon.

It's more of a quality issue than a safety issue. Tea will tend you taste bad after a day if you don't refridgerate it, but refriderating it will sometimes make it appear cloudy.

If I brew tea I usually get thru the gallon in one day, even if it's just me!:ohmy:;)

as long as you boil water to make your tea, it has no problem keeping in fridge. been doing it for years.

Sun tea however is not good. I read where since the water doesn't boil it creates a bacteria in the tea. There was a big article on it I read. It made me go throw the tea I had made right out and never have made it again.

I found this on it http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp
there are many more articles on it, if you type in sun tea warnings.

I drink iced tea all the time and I'm pretty picky about it. I don't like the taste and cloudiness it gets in the fridge, so I leave it sitting out on the counter. Two days is the max on it...it tastes nasty after that. It's important make sure the pitcher has been scrubbed out well before the tea is poured up. A rinse-out doesn't do the job.

Back
Top Bottom