"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Keeping Tea more than 1 day?

I have been making tea for a long time. Usually about 1/2 gallon at a time. There are two people who drinks the tea. Last about a week. Have never suffered any ill effects. Here lately I hear that you should not store home made tea longer than one day. Has anyone else heard this? Thank You

Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Head Chef

No but I'm interested as well. I make a gallon at a time and keep it in the fridge for us to drink. It takes about 2 weeks for DH to finish it.

McNerd ... where are you? I know you'll know!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have never heard that you can't keep tea for more than a day. I could see not going longer than 10-14 days (and keeping it in the fridge), but you can certainly keep it longer than a day.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

I too frequently make iced tea & keep it in the fridge for a good 2 weeks with no problems. And regardless of what "experts" pipe up here to the contrary, I'll continue to do so.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

I believe that the problem is with holding brewed tea at room temperature for more than a day. After a few hours it will begin to sour and then within a day or two will begin to grow mold. I make a gallon and keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks without a problem.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Master Chef

I heard the same thing as Cheylan but it was referring to sun tea since the water doesn't get boiling. Making tea by boiling water then steeping the tea can keep for longer. I was under the impression that since sun tea steeps as the water only warms is the process that can go bad quickly. I know my tea made the traditional way lasts a long time. I have some in the fridge that's 2 weeks old and still good. The amount of sugar added will affect how long it lasts also. Less sugar, longer life (both tea and drinker!).
Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Since I've never gotten sick from it, I don't think old tea is a problem for adults. On the chance that there are bacteria or mold growing in it, you might want to keep it away from kids, since their immune system isn't as well developed. (I don't know if there's anything harmful, but I've seen commercial tea makers that say "wash and sanitize daily.")
Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I believe that the problem is with holding brewed tea at room temperature for more than a day. After a few hours it will begin to sour and then within a day or two will begin to grow mold...

Are you serious? I haven't done it in a while. But used to brew tea essence, and kep it in the little tea pot in the cabinet for at least a week or so. Never had any problem, never.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

I've found that if it is at room temp that it acquires a rather slimy texture. So not then. But in the fridge for several days has always been OK for me. As others have said, I, too, make it up a half gallon at a time, all sorts of tea, and as soon as it is cool enough, into a glass pitcher and into the refrigerator. Never had a problem. Sun tea actually has to sit out for awhile, yet I've never had a problem with it, either.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

No, I haven't heard this from anyone. Over the ages, we heard nothing that suggests that tea is bad for our health. Furthermore, the tea could be served as a cold beverage or a hot beverage and it could be stored over many days. We noticed that big tea companies are selling iced tea on the shelves of supermarkets.