Kids using knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
What knife would be best for a 7 year old to start out on? My son is very careful, and will isten intently to what I say in the kitchen and about food prep. We have let him use the regular flatware knives to cut stems off of strawberries. I am just wondering what the next step might be. Serrated steak knife maybe? He is a very responsible boy, but still my wife and I are unsure of what to let him try next.

My dd just turned 8 last week. Over the past year, she has been using all of my knives in the kitchen, including my chef's knives, serrated bread knives, paring knives, etc. Prior to that she used them with constant supervision, and as I was with her, I was showing her how to keep her fingertips in and how to make even cuts, to never cut towards herself... etc., etc. ... all the things to cut safely, basically. For a good long while, I've seen her using all of the safety tips to my satisfaction, so I've let her do her own slicing and dicing. Even unsupervised. I try to keep all of my knives honed and sharpened regularly, so they are at their sharpest. This is just my opinion, but once they have the motor skills, the best knife for kids is the sharpest one because you're less likely to have it slip and cut the hand/finger.

I think Velochic is right. Now is a great time to teach him the correct tool for the job. Teach him to use all of the knives correctly...and only with your supervision until you're comfortable enough to tell him otherwise.

I let my kids use all my knives when they were helping in the kitchen as well. (Started about 5ish I think) They aren't comfortable using my big chef's knife (even now) so I just let them choose what knife they feel they could manage.

Let them choose something that fits their hand and then teach them safety precautions (both blade and hygiene) and you should be good to go. Happy cooking, its lovely to see someone getting their kids involved.

I agree, now is a good time to teach him! Velochic said "but once they have the motor skills, the best knife for kids is the sharpest one." Is the sharpest knife the best to learn with too? My wife and I often just grab a serrated steak knife to cut things if we are just doing a piece of celery or something. Should I let him try that first? I think the only straight edge knife I have right now is a utility knife, and that would need sharpening to be less dangerous. I have a cook's knife on the way, should be in next week. Maybe I should get a small paring knife.

I would start the child with a paring knife. They will be better able to handle a shorter and lighter knife. They can control it better and the weight won't be an issue.

Teaching the right knife for the job can come later.

Happy cooking, its lovely to see someone getting their kids involved.

I've been thinking I need to get him more involved for some time. Last weekend he pretty much made pancakes all on his own. He did very well on the griddle, and quite honestly he make the best Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes I've ever seen! And of course the 2 yo daughter wants to do everything big brother does. In a few years I'll be waking up to breakfast!:LOL:

Cade uses all my knives, but only after he tells me he wants to use them. Ethan is going to be 6 in may so I bought a small chef's knife, and he is getting very good with it, Ethan knows he must inform someone that he will be using an knife.
kadesma

i own a wusthoff 5-in. classic hollow santoku that is very manageable. that's me, though..... in a tool buying endeavour i'd take the kiddo along so that he could test if the items works well for him. they'll let him test them for balance, fit, that sort of deal.

If you bring a 5-6 yo kid to store to buy a knife, they will luck you up and send the kid to foster care, are you kidding me...

i own a wusthoff 5-in. classic hollow santoku that is very manageable. that's me, though..... in a tool buying endeavour i'd take the kiddo along so that he could test if the items works well for him. they'll let him test them for balance, fit, that sort of deal.

I have almost the exact same knife, bought in Germany a few years ago, except mine in 17cm. This is a lighter-weight knife than my other knives and seems to be a good weight for smaller hands. This is the knife dd likes to cut with the most. Either that or a paring knife for working with things like smaller fruit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom