"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #51
Head Chef

Having seen more coyote poop than I care to remember----- I can attest to the fact that a coyote eats most all of what ever critter it kills. What it's body doesn't need or digested gets pooped out---- hence all the furry coyote poop in the woods. LOL

My cats would always leave a part of a gopher or rat on the doorstep. What part that was I never cared to investigate, but it looked like a gall bladder. The rest was eaten, as is natural for even well fed cats.

Oh, and (Here's a big EW-W factor). Dogs will very often eat their vomit if not dissuaded from doing so. I've even seen cats do that.

EW-w-w----w! Waste not, want not.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Cats and dogs in the wild eat pretty much all of their kill, to prevent other animals from finding it, don't they? Including beaks, bones and feathers? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
GG is right about that, although they may be eating it all because they're hungry.

We may want to believe our cats are sweet little lovie-kins but they have that feral thing going for them, whether we like it or not. BTW---- I love cats. Always had one or two and fed them wet and dry food and they STILL killed mice or birds.

I doubt a dog, turned out into the wild, would fare nearly as well as a cat does.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Having seen more coyote poop than I care to remember----- I can attest to the fact that a coyote eats most all of what ever critter it kills. What it's body doesn't need or digested gets pooped out---- hence all the furry coyote poop in the woods. LOL
But, when it's in commercial pet food, that stuff is ground up so the dog or cat can't just pass it the same way as those coyotes did.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
GG is right about that, although they may be eating it all because they're hungry.

We may want to believe our cats are sweet little lovie-kins but they have that feral thing going for them, whether we like it or not. BTW---- I love cats. Always had one or two and fed them wet and dry food and they STILL killed mice or birds.

I doubt a dog, turned out into the wild, would fare nearly as well as a cat does.
Cats are sweet little lovie-kins, and vicious killers. There was a Jethro Tull song, Bungle in the Jungle, back in the '70s. Every time I heard this line, "...and He who made kittens put snakes in the grass." I would think, "I guess you don't know much about kittens."
Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But, when it's in commercial pet food, that stuff is ground up so the dog or cat can't just pass it the same way as those coyotes did.
Why not? All animals, including people, pass indigestible material, no matter how small it is. In a healthy digestive system, it all gets collected together and excreted.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Why not? All animals, including people, pass indigestible material, no matter how small it is. In a healthy digestive system, it all gets collected together and excreted.
That's why I wrote "the same way". It's in there as filler and so they can write that there is a higher percentage of protein in the food.

The cat food that I buy doesn't have "meal". At over $12/kg, I want stuff cats are supposed to eat, not grain and artificial flavours and colour. I think over processed food isn't as good as less processed food - for cats and for people.

That's why I want to make my own cat food. I haven't found any acceptable recipes for cooked cat food. I'm afraid that if I use a "raw recipe" and cook it, it will be nutrient deficient, even if I add the recommended (for raw) supplements.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's why I wrote "the same way".
You said they *can't pass it* in the same way because it's ground up. That's what I don't understand.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

You might like this site: http://m.drfoxvet.com/HealthInformation/

He's a veterinarian and former president of the Humane Society and writes a weekly column on pets that I've been reading for years. He does sell books and pet foods on the site, but he also has recipes for homemade pet food.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You said they *can't pass it* in the same way because it's ground up. That's what I don't understand.
I meant the don't pass it the same way. I don't know if they digest or pass it. It's been treated to be more digestible. I know this is a scientifically valid reason, but I just think it's yuck. BTW, I don't gross out easily. I don't think that feeding cats brains, liver, etc. is yuck.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You might like this site: Health Information - DrFoxVet.Com

He's a veterinarian and former president of the Humane Society and writes a weekly column on pets that I've been reading for years. He does sell books and pet foods on the site, but he also has recipes for homemade pet food.
Interesting looking site. Thanks for the link. I'm not so sure about that recipe. He says to feed it to the cat three times a week along with regular rations. I don't see any taurine supplement in the recipe, but maybe there is enough taurine in the heart and giblets.

Tags
meat