"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 AM   #91
Head Chef

Late in the summer a few years ago, I was making Spaghetti Sauce with now cheap tomatoes. I had just purchased a food mill for this. I did not have it put together correctly and when I turned the crank the first time it came apart and sauce went flying ALL OVER my kitchen. The spot by the light fixture on the ceiling still shows a stain.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #92
Sous Chef

Patty that is funny. Made me think about the "I Love Lucy" show.

Bob

Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #93
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Harvard Beets

DH and I were just getting to know each other and I decided to make Harvard beets from memory, not the cookbook. Too much cornstarch so I added some more liquid...suffice it to say, we ended up with a pale pink gelatinous mass with bright red spots in it. I still refer to the recipe when cooking it these days, 25 years later.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #94
Assistant Cook

I have several. I was making soup with canellini beans and spinach in it. I put half in the blender to get it smooth, but forgot to put the cap on the blender. The soup ended up on the stove, ceiling, floor, walls, and elsewhere. I cleaned up and finished the rest of the soup which I put in containers. On my way to the refrigerator, I tripped and dropped both containers. Again, soup was everywhere.

When I was newly married, my husband and I had houseguests. I made lasagna ahead of time and froze it. Took it out and put it in the oven for dinner for the guests. After I thought it had baked long enough (an hour, for heaven's sake!), I served it with salad. As we cut into the lasagna, I discovered it was still completely frozen in the center. What a way to welcome guests from out of town.

And just about a month ago, I dropped an entire large, new bottle of olive oil and broke it. I learned the hard way, that it takes a very long time to get that much olive oil up.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #95
Assistant Cook

Another one I remember from way back when I was first out on my own. After work, I made some wonderful lamb chops for dinner. And I decided to have potatoes and gravy with them. After cooking the potatoes, and while the chops were cooking, I made the gravy. When I sat down to eat, I stuck a spoon in the gravy and it stood straight up. I could not even pry the gravy out of the bowl. I stopped making gravy for years after that.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #96
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I dropped two large jars of pickle relish in the parking lot in front of the apartment...they were to be used for a mondo potato salad for a picnic at work. After getting them cleaned up, as best I could, I returned to Costco for two more jars.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #97
Assistant Cook

I've dropped my fair share of pickles too. Many times coming in the garage unloading the groceries, the plastic sack with the pickles invaribly breaks and I lose all the pickles. I guess that's at least better than dropping them in the kitchen <g>
Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #98
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I can't imagine cleaning up all that olive oil. With my luck I'd drop it on the carpet.

The other day I took the shaker top off the seasoning salt and shook the jar...at least I could rinse off the steaks.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #99
Senior Cook

Like many of you, I've had my fair share of kitchen disasters - bread that didn't rise, gravy that could be sliced into wedges and food stuck to the baking dish and turning to mush as you try to pry it out - but it seems the worst disasters are of my own making because I make the mistake of producing a dish I've never made before... for a special occasion with lots of people!! If ever there's a time to embarrass yourself with a kitchen disaster, it's to do it in front of your world - a hungry world of family and friends! Believe me, it's worth the cost and effort to cook the dish twice - once for yourself as a practice run, and only after you learn what to watch for are you ready to make it for others. And as a bonus, many times there's some way of making it your own by changing or substituting something to suit your taste.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #100
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I can't imagine cleaning up all that olive oil. With my luck I'd drop it on the carpet.

The oil landed just an inch shy of the carpet, so I was lucky there

The other day I took the shaker top off the seasoning salt and shook the jar...at least I could rinse off the steaks.
I can only imagine! I was putting a cannister of sugar up in the cabinet, and it tipped over. Unfortunately for me, the lid of the cannister does not fit tight. That was an awful lot of sugar to get out of the cabinet