"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #101
Assistant Cook

Good advice. I ought to pin that one on my refrigerator!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

i am a short person, so many things are to high for me. if i can touch it i can wiggle it off the shelf. had a huge container of plant foods up high. walked it right off onto the floor. bottle broke, you get the pictures. took the paint right off the wall
funny now, but now then.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #103
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i am a short person, so many things are to high for me. if i can touch it i can wiggle it off the shelf. had a huge container of plant foods up high. walked it right off onto the floor. bottle broke, you get the pictures. took the paint right off the wall
funny now, but now then.
I'm also very short (under 5 feet) and it's already a stretch getting things into the cabinet. I also sometimes have to wiggle things off the shelf to where I can touch them. I'm just a klutz in the kitchen anyway, if there's an accident waiting to happen, I'll probably be there
Old 07-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #104
Master Chef

Interesting where this line has gone. I'm tall. Not Julia ChildTall, just 5'9". BUTall counters make me bend over to work on them, and give me a back-ache. I swear, if I ever got rich, I'd have my counters at least six inches taller. You have to realise that your average kitchen counters are meant for women who are 5'2" to 5'4" tall. When I cook I'm bowing over my food, not standing up to it.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #105
Assistant Cook

It would be nice to be taller than I am. When I grocery shop, I always have to ask someone to help me when I have to get something off a top shelf, and it seems like the things I buy most are stocked there.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #106
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Hi Michelle - I'm just following up on your long ago post (don't ask), but how did things end up?

Bob
Let me introduce you to my friend, the egg separator.

You crack the egg into the top of his head, turn it forward, and the whites slide right out his nose, leaving the yolk safely behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1224.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	7380   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1225.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	7381  

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #107
Assistant Cook

I once made 50 litres of pozole for the grand opening of a restaurant (Si Senor) in London, the Mexican Ambassador was the guest of honour. Instead of breaking the pozole down into small batches to aid the cooling I left it in one big container....next morning it was bubbling!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #108
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Short Cooks Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Interesting where this line has gone. I'm tall. Not Julia ChildTall, just 5'9". BUTall counters make me bend over to work on them, and give me a back-ache. I swear, if I ever got rich, I'd have my counters at least six inches taller. You have to realise that your average kitchen counters are meant for women who are 5'2" to 5'4" tall. When I cook I'm bowing over my food, not standing up to it.
The very first kitchen I ever worked in was in my Great-Grandmother's house. My Grandfather (her son-in-law) had totally rebuilt her kitchen with 2 foot wide ramps and walk around the cabinets and stove. He re-cut all the cabinet doors to fit over the walk. While some storage space was lost, short folks could reach everything. Grandma was 4' 10" tall and a wizard in the kitchen.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #109
Assistant Cook

I left the kitchen for a minute to answer the phone. I got a bit caught up giving directions to some friends from out of town. When I got off the phone I remembered that I had a pan full of cooking grease on the stove. The grease caught fire, which then lit the fan above the stove on fire..then the ceiling was ablaze and so were the curtains. A neighbor came rushing in after she heard me screaming and put the fire out with an extinguisher and the fire dept. had to come. Worst day ever.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #110
Assistant Cook

Yikes! I definitely cannot top that one! Ouch, I can't even imagine the cleanup involved.