Kitchen Disasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beleive it or not, my best popcorn pan is my large, carbon steel, flat bottomed wok made by Atlas. It has an aluminum lid, and since only a small portion of the pan actually sits on the burner, I'm not as apt to burn the popcorn.:mrgreen:.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i started my beans for chicken chili. laid down for nap. about one and a half hours later, went to check them and add all the other stuff. the wretched crock pot was not plugged in. stone cold broth and beans.

i sat the ceramic liner on stove top and brought it to a boil. put back on pot element. i chopped and sautéed all the rest of indg. before i put them in, heating up the cooked chicken as well. probably won't be done for dinner.

how stupid was that? a "senior moment" or just not observing well?

I was a really nifty souffle maker - okay I know real men don't eat souffle, but new spouse didn't complain too much. Then one night we were to have guests. Added mushrooms to the souffle... total disaster - looked like dirty dishwater. Cheech!!

how stupid was that? a "senior moment" or just not observing well?

Not so stupid. The other day when I baked bread I didn't notice I had accidently turned off the oven when I wiped flour off the front panel. The bread was just barely baked. I turned the oven on and everything turned out fine.

Fiona and Babe, when Mom first got her "fancy" new stove, I can't count the number of times we thought we'd turned the oven on only to discover an hour later that whatever we had in the oven was stone-cold. I now have a similar one to hers, and the other night hubby was in charge of heating a pizza for supper while I went to a class. He did the same thing. You use one touch pad to set the temp, when you do that, you have to hit another one to start. It is so easy to set the temperature and think you've turned on the oven.

In a similar vein, I live in a town where we have grocery pick-up (you drive your car to a porte-cochere, you give the guy your number and he loads your groceries into your car). Well, I got distracted when I went to get my car, and drove home without my groceries. Got home. Aw s----. Luckily I only live a mile or so from the grocery store. It was so fast, no one noticed I'd abandoned a cart full of food. I mentioned it to the bag boy, and he just laughed. "It happens 2 or 3 times a day .... you're lucky. Some people live out on farms or other places and it takes them a half hour to get here, home, and back again when they realize they've done it!"

My thing is the last store on payday, by then I NEED a quad shot latte'. I get it first and sip while I shop and then hit the check out line. I set it down and there it sits...somebody is usually following me to hand me my coffee.

This morning I sprayed wet cat food all over the kitchen when I tripped over a cat. I just got done cleaning it up, yuck!

Just this past week I was making tamales. I steam the masa then pour a sauce made with some meat over it.
So while I have the tamales steaming I put some oil in a cast iron skillet to cook the meat, veggies and sauce. Then I start messing with the TV remote trying to find the one show on worth watching, only to turn to see the skillet go from smoke( I have a very poor sense of smell) to flames:ohmy::ohmy:
While I took the skillet outside to put it out, the pot with the bamboo steamer baskets in it ran out of water and started to burn:eek:
The basket was ruined(burnt black and ready to ignite), and there is soot all over the house, but dinner was great

Back
Top Bottom