"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #111
Assistant Cook

Not wearing gloves when cutting up hot peppers, then taking out my contacts that night!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #112
Assistant Cook

Ouch! That makes my eyes water just to think about it. A couple of weeks ago, I was chopping what I thought was a green pepper for a batch of enchiladas I was making. It turns out what I had gotten in the bin with the green peppers was a chile pepper, and after chopping. I rubbed my eyes and around my nose. I was in agony for 30 minutes before the heat dissapated, so I do know how you feel, although I don't wear contacts. I used to always keep some surgical gloves around for just such occasions, but when I moved, my box somehow didn't make the trip with me.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #113
Assistant Cook

Ow, guys! Ow!!

I had two bad ones that I can recall:
One, I wanted to make this wonderful sweet potato and asparagus soup recipe that I have for my (then) boyfriend. I think my sweet potatos were old or something, because the whole pot came out paint-grey. Yuck!

Two, I was making a caramel sauce for duck and I was day dreaming about something. Out of habit with other sauces I stuck my finger in to taste the sauce. I had a blister for weeks! :( I mean, what an idiotic thing to do! lol
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #114
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilianblythe View Post
Ow, guys! Ow!!

I had two bad ones that I can recall:
One, I wanted to make this wonderful sweet potato and asparagus soup recipe that I have for my (then) boyfriend. I think my sweet potatos were old or something, because the whole pot came out paint-grey. Yuck!

Two, I was making a caramel sauce for duck and I was day dreaming about something. Out of habit with other sauces I stuck my finger in to taste the sauce. I had a blister for weeks! :( I mean, what an idiotic thing to do! lol
Oh no, Oh no! Ouch!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #115
Assistant Cook

I'm forever grabbing hold of the handle of a hot pan, so I do understand those awful kitchen burns.

I think, though, that Monday I topped my all time kitchen disaster. I had gotten up to get ready for work, and had let the dogs out. On the way back to the bedroom to put on makeup, I passed my hand-held mandoline sitting on the counter. I accidentally knocked it off, and the proceeded to grab it with my left hand. I took off a large sized flap of skin off the end of my finger and ended up in the emergency room. The doctor had the more or less graft the flap back to the skin, so we're waiting now to see if it will take or not. How can anyone with any sense not know that you don't grab hold of any kind of falling blade?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #116
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Capsaicin Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmom View Post
Ouch! That makes my eyes water just to think about it. A couple of weeks ago, I was chopping what I thought was a green pepper for a batch of enchiladas I was making. It turns out what I had gotten in the bin with the green peppers was a chile pepper, and after chopping. I rubbed my eyes and around my nose. I was in agony for 30 minutes before the heat dissapated, so I do know how you feel, although I don't wear contacts. I used to always keep some surgical gloves around for just such occasions, but when I moved, my box somehow didn't make the trip with me.
Research on the Web says to wash hands with warm soapy water to remove the hot on your hands after chopping peppers. I've found that if you wash your hands first with a baking soda paste and then with soapy water you have a better chance of neutralizing the sting.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #117
Assistant Cook

I received a lot of really good grapes - all very ripe - and so i decided to make some grape jam....which was so hard it was actually like a bottle of rock candy!!! It would have been ok if i didn't give some to a friend first before i realized it was IMPOSSIBLE to spread or even get out of the bottle!! haha!!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #118
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Research on the Web says to wash hands with warm soapy water to remove the hot on your hands after chopping peppers. I've found that if you wash your hands first with a baking soda paste and then with soapy water you have a better chance of neutralizing the sting.
Thanks. I'll keep this tip handy!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #119
Assistant Cook

I've got a couple good ones...

First one was at a friend's house. She was making spaghetti and I suggested we put some wine in the sauce, so she did but left it on high. We got into the wine, burned dinner beyond help and ended up going out to eat.

Second is pretty embarassing. We lived in a triplex at the time and we were having company for dinner. I was making chicken cacciatore and I put my casserole dish that was pyrex and not corning ware on the stovetop to saute the chicken and veggies in before baking it and you guessed it.. the thing broke and I had a small fire on my hands. I put out the fire but our apt was filled with smoke so I opened the door and had the fans on and I opened the window at the the top of the stairwell (we were on the top floor) and the neighbours in the basement (they were drunks) freaked out and called 911!!! I had to explain to the nice fireman what I had done and endure a lecture on safe cooking!!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #120
Assistant Cook

Haha! My worst kitchen disaster has nothing to do with food but it did happen in the kitchen. I bought hair removal wax which you pop into the microwave for 1minute and then it is melted and ready to use. My microwave at uni took exactly 1 minute and then you could stir the wax for a bit and then only would it melt the rest.
But then I shoved it into my mum's fancy new microwave. I walked away for a couple of seconds. When I returned, less than 45 seconds later everything melted away...including the container. It was such a mess to clean - you have no idea!