"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #121
Head Chef

I had set some chicken stock on the stove to simmer while I went to work. No problem, husband and kids were at home. But, dear hubby decided to bring the kids to the mall where I worked at the time, took them to a movie, stopped by the store where i was working so they could say "hi." Well, when he got home, smoke had filled the house. He turned the burner on high instead of off, melted the aluminum right off the bottom of the stock pot. Luckily, that was the only damage.
Another time, I was making green chili. Well, dear hubby doesn't like it chunky, so I put it in the blender, hot. When I took the lid off, it exploded out of the blender and burned my forearm, had to go the emergency room. It took the top layer of skin off from my elbow to the wrist.
yikes! NEVER PUT HOT LIQUIDS IN A CLOSED BLENDER!!!!!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #122
Master Chef

There are so many of these and they are fun, and I run the risk of repeating myself, so excuse me if I do. I was visiting a boyfriend at his bachelor quarters. Even then I was a fairly accomplished cook, so ... well, you tell me. All I was doing was heating a frozen pizza. A real no-brainer, right? Well I grabbed what I thought was a pizza pan from the drawer under the oven to use for the purpose, and of course it wasn't metal, it caught on fire, and it was one of his room-mates antiques. I freaked; I didn't know. It looked like a plain old metal plate, and was stored with the pizza pans and cookie trays, etc. How was I to know? Our relationshiip was doomed anyway, but burning his room-mate's antique pewter something-or-other probably didn't help!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #123
Assistant Cook

breaking my arm in two places after slipping on wet ceramic .... and yes that was today
Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #124
Senior Cook

Take care of yourself. Hope you heal quickly.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #125
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastaprincess View Post
Haha! My worst kitchen disaster has nothing to do with food but it did happen in the kitchen. I bought hair removal wax which you pop into the microwave for 1minute and then it is melted and ready to use. My microwave at uni took exactly 1 minute and then you could stir the wax for a bit and then only would it melt the rest.
But then I shoved it into my mum's fancy new microwave. I walked away for a couple of seconds. When I returned, less than 45 seconds later everything melted away...including the container. It was such a mess to clean - you have no idea!
I've realized that any time I try to do something with the microwave that doesn't include food items, like melting wax, etc. I tend to have a disaster on my hands. The only thing I've managed is warmingup wet washcloths to use as a warm compress. Other than that, I don't put non-food items in the microwave.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #126
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Another time, I was making green chili. Well, dear hubby doesn't like it chunky, so I put it in the blender, hot. When I took the lid off, it exploded out of the blender and burned my forearm, had to go the emergency room. It took the top layer of skin off from my elbow to the wrist.
yikes! NEVER PUT HOT LIQUIDS IN A CLOSED BLENDER!!!!!
Ow, I concur! I learned that lesson long ago...and never take the top off the pressure cooker before it's completely done un-pressurizing.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #127
Assistant Cook

Forgetting to turn off the oven!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #128
Assistant Cook

I made garlic butter to go with some prawns i'd bought, and was so proud that i kept lifting the pan to smell it.

Anyway, i lift the pan, and don't get a great whiff, so i bring the pan closer, failing to realise that my face happens to have a chin and my chin was in the way and also failing to realise how hot the pan was.

So, needless to say i burned myself on the chin and walked round looking like an idiot until it cleared up. And because it was right in the middle of my face, everyone kept asking how i'd done it! D'oh!!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #129
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

While helping a friend move I was unpacking her kitchen items. I put the whole stack of plastic lids that fit her matched containers on the stove. It was a gas stove and the heat from the pilot light was enough to turn all her lids into a paper weight.

The next payday I went out and bought her another set of matched containers.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #130
Assistant Cook

My worst kitchen disaster: Well i remember, I had prepared the tea once for myself and after my mother woke up she just asked me how did i filter the tea, then I just remember, I did not filter the tea at all. There are more instances when I had cooked some dishes and I had put an excessive salt in the dishes thereby spoiling them all

cookingexp is offline   Reply With Quote