"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #141
Assistant Cook

VA- this happened about 17 years ago and I still can't even mention a bundt cake without getting a snarky comment or a smirk from my husband. I laugh at myself all the time. (Lots of great material!!)

Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #142
Chief Eating Officer

My worst disaster might have been the other night depending on who you ask.

I had a few things lying around the house and needed to make a quick dinner. I sauted some shredded purple cabbage, shredded broccoli (little match sticks) in ginger oil. I cooked up some udon noodles and reheated some leftover chicken. It was all tossed together. I thought it looks beautiful. The dark purple of the cabbage against the thick white udon noodles with some pale green thrown in from the broccoli. I was so impressed with myself based solely on how it looked. I wish I took a picture. My wife took one look and pushed her plate away, which is not how she ever acts. Later, in private when the kids were not around, she told me it looked like I had opened a moneys skull and we were looking at the insides. I guess if you are not used to udon (which she is not) then it could look like that. My son wouldn't touch it, but he is a bad eater right now anyway so that did not surprise me. My daughter started out liking it, but after a few bites decided she did not like it. I ate my whole bowl though and was very satisfied.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #143
Certified Pretend Chef

What I want to know is how does she know what monkey brains look like...

...and how does she like them cooked?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #144
Senior Cook

May I recommend using beets with the udon noodles next time. I assure you, the pile of udon noodles won't look like monkey brains at all. I swear.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #145
Cupcake

My worst kitchen disaster was making something called Salmon Mousse. The dish looked beautiful. Pretty colors and was holiday festive on the plate.

Guests came...and tried it....the dish looked beautiful.

I think we can leave it there. Even the cat could not stomach it. For a long while, friends would say, "Come to dinner? Sure...as long as we are not having pretty food."

~Kathleen
Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #146
Cook

When I was about 26 I decided to make my new wife an myself some chocolate mousse. I read the recipe and it said to add 1/2 cup of expresso, so I ground up the beans and added them. It never occured to me to brew it.

The wife said while eating the mousse.....dear this seems a bit grainy lmfao

I have only recently been allowed back into the kitchen to cook!!!

I'm 52 now
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #147
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What I want to know is how does she know what monkey brains look like...
I am sure I have Indiana Jones to thank for that.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #148
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post
May I recommend using beets with the udon noodles next time. I assure you, the pile of udon noodles won't look like monkey brains at all. I swear.
Ehmmmp , Yeah udon noodles i like it , its a Japanese noodles, but what kind of udon noodles are prefer to eat froggythefrog?? its a dried , boiled or fresh ?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #149
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
Ehmmmp , Yeah udon noodles i like it , its a Japanese noodles, but what kind of udon noodles are prefer to eat froggythefrog?? its a dried , boiled or fresh ?
The udon noodles I like? I assume they must be dried and then boiled before I ever see them. I've had them at restaurants, but I've never had any udon noodles that I am happy with at home.
If someone made them fresh, I would love to try them, but I don't think I am located where that's likely to happen.

I don't get to eat udon noodles or Japanese cuisine in general as often as I would like. Bonito (dried fish) is a pervasive seasoning in Japanese food.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #150
Senior Cook

Disaster in the kitchen , ohh , Got a unforgettable experience in the kitchen . When I saw my house maid boiling water , while she put it in the in container glass the glass were broke , the boil water pour into her body . So just be careful of boiling.