"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

I've had so many I don't know where to begin...from my "chain saw meatloaf" (made a mistake setting the microwave and set it for 2 hours instead of 20 minutes, then went and had my bath)...to little green worms floating up to the top of the water when I was cooking broccoli out of my fall garden for Thanksgiving dinner...to the Lucille Ball type episode when I used 2 packages of out-dated yeast instead of one and my pizza crust almost blew the door off the oven...to wheat bugs in my pie-crust (my first husband demanded pies for a coaching banquet to which wives were not invited...the pie was a big success and everyone commented on the "nutty" flavor...
I could go on, but you get the idea. My kids always said I was just like "I love Lucy".

Old 11-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #12
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
I was making chocolate cups to hold dessert by dipping balloons in melted chocolate. The chocolate was too hot and as I removed the balloon it exploded. I took a direct hit of melted chocolate to the chest. My kitchen also had chocolate all over.
It was kind of funny and not as dangerous as my exploding double boiler.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Moved to "Food Talk"

Hi GerryCooks - sounds like you are on a mission to be on America's Funniest Home Videos - lol I can see the balloon going and the chocolate splattering!!! Anytime you want to start a discussion about kitchen mishaps feel free. Oh wait - I think you already did!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Once while I was pressure cooking my meatloaf I forgot to turn down the heat, then decide to take a shower. When I came out I saw smoke filling the kitchen, the bottom of the cooker was scorched and I nearly killed it. However the meatloaf got a real nice "smoked flavour" in the end which I could never produce in any other way... I wish I could do that again if I didn't have to risk ruining the pressure cooker...
Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was first on my own after divorce, I was learning to fend for myself in the kitchen. One night for dinner I was frying up a can of corned beef hash and thought a sunny side up egg would go nicely on top. I didn't have another frypan so I broke an egg into a dish and popped it into the microwave.

A minute or two later there was a HUGE bang and I nearly had a heart attack!

It took me hours to get all the tiny little bits of exploded egg out of the little vent holes inside the microwave!

You can bet I never did that again!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #16
Cook

Send a message via AIM to hellschef
while coming out of the walk-in one day, a prep chef was coming in with a sheet pan on his shoulder holding and bracing with a hand beneath and another behind, while talking over his shoulder, and ran it straight into my mouth and K.O.ing me temp. All i could hear when i came out was poor Wally fretting wether or not i was gonna kill him! lol, the whole time they completely forgot good ol' chef laying flat on his biscuits in the cooler.. ahh good times... good times
Old 11-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #17
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
Wink

Thanks everyone for the great stories. It makes me feel better knowing I am not alone in my mishaps.
I have a habit of pressing one number on the microwave keypad ie. 2222. I did this one day to soften a container of Whipped topping. I forgot it in the microwave and when I finally remembered it the container was melted as well as the whipped topping. There was one large white pool on the bottom of the microwave.
I still have't learned to use precise times because it is easier to keep hitting one number.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Well, I don't have any one episode to talk about but I can tell you that my wife is such a bad cook she can actually burn water.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:07 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I think I might have mentioned this before, but once, when getting ready to fry a big batch of chicken for Sunday brunch at a club I worked at, we had a bad load of oil. One of the 5-gallon buckets of oil was actually about half water. After we put three buckets of "oil" into the tilt skillet, and turned it on, well, let's just say, it became very dangerous. The water started boiling off, but since it was UNDER the oil, it was like a depth-charge going off. Luckily, we were able to get the lid down, and turn the tilt skillet off. Once it cooled down, we separated the oil and water, then preceeded to cook the chicken, albiet a couple hours behind schedule.

Another time, when I worked in a fast food joint, the manager wanted to get the fryers filtered and cleaned at night instead of in the morning. Only problem was, all they had to hold the grease in were 5-gallon PVC pickle buckets (cleaned). They let the fryer cool down, but not enough, as one of the buckets melted through in two places. Several gallons of grease, everywhere! Talk about a messy clean-up.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #20
Executive Chef

pear pie puddled/poured down

My mother had asked me to make her a pear pie. They were in season and growing everywhere in her mountain retreat. We bought some, and in her kitchen, I went to work. Lot's of peeling, slicing, mixing, finding ingredients 'in her kitchen', not mine, making the perfect dough, etc. All went smoothly as I love doing that kind of stuff and pear pie is my second favorite pie. I looked forward to eating it, smelling it bake and fragrant'ing' her house up.
She didn't have correct pie tins but that was okay, cause she did have a sturdy foil type thing and it even came complete with holes in it for venting. (or, are they REALLY in there for insuring that the crust doesn't brown or stiffen up a bit???)
It did smell up the house perfectly and mom and her husband and I anticipated with glee, eating that thing. Oh, I'd whipped the cream and it was chilling so nicely in the frig.

Time was up. Dinger dinging. ''Take it out'' the timer said. I'd not put it on a baking sheet or anything. Didn't think about it. So, gloves on, I took it out. It folded from the weight and total heat of the whole thing, poured out all over my now burning hands and I dropped it due to unstableness of it all, and, down the floor heater vent under the stove it went.

I was so upset, I didn't speak, walked out of the house and took a walk. When I returned, mom had cleaned up the mess and we never spoke one word about the incident. I think she knew better.