I think my worst was when I was in junior high school. My family still talks about it! We had learned to make baked alaska. I decided I would make dinner for my brother's birthday. I made our family lasagne recipe with a salad and baked alaska for dessert. Everything went fine until dessert. Set the oven to 500 deg. while whipping the meringue and the next thing I know the oven is shooting flames and smoke out the door! The run over from the lasagne had caught fire! It took a whole container of salt to put out and lots of fans to clear the smoke. Fortunately, it didn't damage anything permanently. We ended up having the dessert as a midnight snack after cleaning the oven.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!