"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
The time I brought a praying mantis egg case into the house and stuck in in a jar on the kitchen window sill while I tried to figure out what it was.

I had millions of teeny-tiny praying mantises everywhere. I think I still shake a little flattened one out of a cookbook once in a while.
Hey! Something for Earth Day! Forget buying aresol cans of insecticide! Just bring home one of these things! Ought to be a big seller in places where the roaches out-populate people!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Hey! Something for Earth Day! Forget buying aresol cans of insecticide! Just bring home one of these things! Ought to be a big seller in places where the roaches out-populate people!
Sounds great but I think our two cats would have a field day with one of those

Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #53
Senior Cook

I made marshmallows by hand the other week. I had the egg whites on the table, the syrup on the stove and the boiled gelatin in my hands. I added the gelatin -- whisk, whisk, whisking away -- to find out much too late that it FOAMS and the pot was much, much, much too small for the recipe. It overflowed off the stove, down the cabinets, and onto the floor. Such a mess! (And hard to clean up!)

Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Worst Disasters:

Physical Harm: Took off the tip of my finger with a mandolin.

Pyrotechnical Harm: While getting ready for Prom I was polishing my shoes. First step, melt shoe polish (in case this trips your crazy alarm, I was in AFJROTC, it is just how we did it.) Well I did this on the stove top, I lit the polish with a match while it sat on a turned off burner. The polish got melty like I wanted it and I went to put the lid on to smother the flame. I tipped the can over spilling lit liquid shoe polish on the stove top. It flared up and got very smoky at which point I used the fire extinguisher. I finished cleaning up black shoe polish and yellow powder just in time to leave for prom.

Culinary Harm: When I was wee little small (I dunno 4-5ish), I was just sure that you could just throw any of the interesting ingredients in Mommy's kitchen in a dish, bake it and get cake. I mean that is what Mommy was doing right? So Mom let me do just that, flour, salt, food coloring and the Lord knows what else went in a dish and Mom cooked it till it browned and got hard. To my dismay it was inedible. That is when little Josh learned that baking is not magic. Cooking as it turns out is.

-Josh hart
Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #55
Head Chef

Strained currants through muslin, muslin broke, currants on wall. (stain)
Tomato sauce in blender, turn on blender, tomatoes on ceiling. (stain)
Left 4 year old in kitchen, he painted designs on white print wall paper with shrimp sauce. (stain)

Scallopped potatoes and ham in the oven, ALWAYS overflow and make a mess that smells bad each time you heat it up.

Helping a friend over the phone make toffee on the stove. She's stirring it and says 'what are the white streaks in it'? Hmm, interesting, so I headed over to her house. It was her rubber spatula melting into it.

~Bliss
Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #56
Head Chef

Left the can of PAM on the stove when baking. BOOM!!! Pam everywhere, and a perfect can sized hole in the ceiling tile(college apartment).
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #57
Master Chef

These are too funny........i"ve posted this twice in 3 years so if you've seen it I apologize...mine was cooking an Irish Turkey for an American Thanksgiving........cause it wasn't a Butterball I was following a Joy of Cooking recipe that promised a tender Tom----just soak a dishtowel in oil and drape it over the turkey.........well, I did that only the towel was green......so was Mr. Tom after a few hours.........it was awful looking and I had 10 people showing up.........it tasted fine....just that it was green looking
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I had to cook dinner for 10 people: Beef Stroganoff, noodles, caramelized pears salad and Tiramisu, etc. etc.
Things were getting late and I had to hurry up since I cooked everything at home and the dinner was on the other side of town. As soon as I finished, I put everything on the car and away I went.
As I was driving to my friends' place, I noticed the noddles were missing.
I figured, OMG, I left them home so I stopped dead on to turn around just to see my blue 7 Qt. LeCreuset pot full of noddles flying over the windshield LOL.
It landed right on the street in front of the car making a mess. Luckily the pot was intact, except for some chips.
Needless to say, we had Stroganoff with rice that night.

Now I am laughing about the incident, at the time I was completely embarassed. Next time another driver makes some funny face or points at my car, I will stop to check what is going on. Promised.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 AM   #59
Master Chef

another disaster--not mine, however.....my sister's.....without telling anyone she decided to make a baked potato........out of foil.......no problem.....plastic wrap makes a good substitute.......right???????? oh, call 911 the house is full of smoke........we laugh now 40 years later
Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #60
Master Chef

Site Moderator

It was about 12 years ago and one of my 1st crock-pot cooking experiments, that is not using a recipe. I took one of those small pre-packages "hams", studded it with cloves and put it in the crock pot with some orange juice and water, put the lid on, set it to low and went to work.

10 hours later I came home to the WORST food ever!!! The ham was infused with the taste of burned orange and CLOVES, CLOVES, CLOVES!!!

I tried my best to eat it but ended up throwing it all way and calling for a pizza delivery.