Kitchen Disasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VA- this happened about 17 years ago and I still can't even mention a bundt cake without getting a snarky comment or a smirk from my husband. I laugh at myself all the time. (Lots of great material!!)

My worst disaster might have been the other night depending on who you ask.

I had a few things lying around the house and needed to make a quick dinner. I sauted some shredded purple cabbage, shredded broccoli (little match sticks) in ginger oil. I cooked up some udon noodles and reheated some leftover chicken. It was all tossed together. I thought it looks beautiful. The dark purple of the cabbage against the thick white udon noodles with some pale green thrown in from the broccoli. I was so impressed with myself based solely on how it looked. I wish I took a picture. My wife took one look and pushed her plate away, which is not how she ever acts. Later, in private when the kids were not around, she told me it looked like I had opened a moneys skull and we were looking at the insides. I guess if you are not used to udon (which she is not) then it could look like that. My son wouldn't touch it, but he is a bad eater right now anyway so that did not surprise me. My daughter started out liking it, but after a few bites decided she did not like it. I ate my whole bowl though and was very satisfied.

What I want to know is how does she know what monkey brains look like...

...and how does she like them cooked?

May I recommend using beets with the udon noodles next time. I assure you, the pile of udon noodles won't look like monkey brains at all. I swear.

My worst kitchen disaster was making something called Salmon Mousse. The dish looked beautiful. Pretty colors and was holiday festive on the plate.

Guests came...and tried it....the dish looked beautiful.

I think we can leave it there. Even the cat could not stomach it. For a long while, friends would say, "Come to dinner? Sure...as long as we are not having pretty food."

~Kathleen

When I was about 26 I decided to make my new wife an myself some chocolate mousse. I read the recipe and it said to add 1/2 cup of expresso, so I ground up the beans and added them. It never occured to me to brew it.

The wife said while eating the mousse.....dear this seems a bit grainy lmfao:LOL::LOL:

I have only recently been allowed back into the kitchen to cook!!!

I'm 52 now

May I recommend using beets with the udon noodles next time. I assure you, the pile of udon noodles won't look like monkey brains at all. I swear.
Ehmmmp , Yeah udon noodles i like it , its a Japanese noodles, but what kind of udon noodles are prefer to eat froggythefrog?? its a dried , boiled or fresh ?

Ehmmmp , Yeah udon noodles i like it , its a Japanese noodles, but what kind of udon noodles are prefer to eat froggythefrog?? its a dried , boiled or fresh ?

The udon noodles I like? I assume they must be dried and then boiled before I ever see them. I've had them at restaurants, but I've never had any udon noodles that I am happy with at home.
If someone made them fresh, I would love to try them, but I don't think I am located where that's likely to happen.

I don't get to eat udon noodles or Japanese cuisine in general as often as I would like. Bonito (dried fish) is a pervasive seasoning in Japanese food.

Disaster in the kitchen , ohh , Got a unforgettable experience in the kitchen . When I saw my house maid boiling water , while she put it in the in container glass the glass were broke , the boil water pour into her body . So just be careful of boiling.

well i had an interesting one today. was making hummus. had everything in blender. made the mistake (i know better) of trying to scrap down the sides while it was running. you guessed, hummus all over the kitchen and even in my eye brows. put spatula down a bit far, it chewed up the spatula and flung bean paste everywhere. why do we do somethings that we know will end in disaster. lol

thank god i live alone. still have to get the step stool and get it off the ceiling. well at the very top of cupboard door anyway. waited til it dried out and came off easily.

There is a good chance the hummus is good for your complexion...bean paste facial will be all the rage now!

There is a good chance the hummus is good for your complexion...bean paste facial will be all the rage now!

you know , you may be right. however day before that took lid off popcorn off and that popped everywhere. it said to shake or stir, had in large dutch oven. now i don't know about you, but i don't know how to stir with the lid on.

i'm thinking i should stay out of kitchen for a while before i set myself on fire. :LOL:

you know , you may be right. however day before that took lid off popcorn off and that popped everywhere. it said to shake or stir, had in large dutch oven. now i don't know about you, but i don't know how to stir with the lid on.

i'm thinking i should stay out of kitchen for a while before i set myself on fire. :LOL:

I have an old Revere Ware pan that my Mom had, it is lightweight enough to shake the pan, holds about three cups of popped popcorn. It's the only thing I use that pan for.

I have an old Revere Ware pan that my Mom had, it is lightweight enough to shake the pan, holds about three cups of popped popcorn. It's the only thing I use that pan for.

i need the popcorn to be salt free and this is the only way to get it, unless i buy a hot air popper. i may just do that. would you believe i have no small pots and pans for stove top except for on anchor hocking small pan. i have many very large ones. all very heavy. i use the micro so much and the oven that all of mine are for that purpose. mostly the white onces from corning. :ohmy::ohmy:

Is cutting your finger with a knife can be considered a kitchen disaster? I experienced that a lot of times before I totally learn.

i need the popcorn to be salt free and this is the only way to get it, unless i buy a hot air popper. i may just do that. would you believe i have no small pots and pans for stove top except for on anchor hocking small pan. i have many very large ones. all very heavy. i use the micro so much and the oven that all of mine are for that purpose. mostly the white onces from corning. :ohmy::ohmy:

Sometimes you can find a decent stainless steel frying pan with a lid at a thrift store, just make sure it is not non-stick. This allows you to control salt, amount and fat in the popcorn. The lighter SS pan will allow you to shake the pan and it will stand up to the heat. I found a graniteware pot that works, too for larger amounts. That being said, I really do not like popcorn, but DH loves it.

Google Whirly Pop, they make a nice popcorn pan.

Back
Top Bottom