"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

Well, this is not the first time, we have discussion like this here. I am always in minority. First thing first. Was it hot when you put in container, or was it cold? Did you smell it? How does it smell? Did you try to taste it? How does it taste? Chances are that I would keep it. There is no way it could have gone bad over night.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
There is no way it could have gone bad over night.

Sorry, Charlie (I just had to )

But it very easily could have spoiled overnight. It might not have, sure. But it might be contaminated.

I would not risk it. The first time you do and you get sick, your tune is changed forever.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Did you smell it? How does it smell?
This is not a reliable way to test as there are toxins that could be in the food that do not alter the smell.

Chances are that the food was fine. The problem though is that if you are wrong then the consequences could be severe, with death being a possibility. I always go back to my seat belt analogy. You could drive for 50 years without ever wearing a seat belt once and never have a problem, but that one time you finally do get into an accident you will wish you would have worn it. At that point it is too late though.

It stinks dumping out what might be perfectly good food, but it is better than getting violently ill or even possibly dying.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Master Chef

It's like I said, I am in minority in this case.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyEma
I would not risk it. The first time you do and you get sick, your tune is changed forever.
Very True!! About 5 years ago I had a World Class case of food poisoning. It took 3 full days for my system to get back to some sibilance of normalcy ---- Two of those days my constant prayer was..."Just let me go ahead and die" --- ~~ There is no food, nor no amount of food that is worth it...Dispose of it, and move on!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i would throw it away, ditto on not giving to pets. why do people give possible tainted food to an animal. if you wouldn't eat it, don't give it to the dog.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #17
Master Chef

I would probably pitch it. However, both my DH and our son would probably go ahead and eat it. By my count I think they each should have dropped dead from questionable food ages ago. On the other hand, if I ever want to "off" my DH....Bwahahaha!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Hear is your problem. You introduced bacteria when you took it off the heat and ladled it out originally, as the ladle wasn't sterile. Then you introduced more bacteria as you stood over it breathing and having microbes and skin falling into it. Still more when you introduced it to that warped and un-sterile container. Were any of those bacteria pathogenic? No way to tell.

My favorite analogy is Karl Wallenda of the Flying Wallendas circus act. For 60 years he survived thousands of shows walking the high wire without a net. Then one day, he didn't.