Left beef stew out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I left a ton of home-made beef stew out for about 10-12 hours last night. It was in a closed, but not air-tight plastic container (it's warped, so it doesn't seal). It sat on my kitchen counter, so it was at about 65 degrees. Is there any hope for this, or do I have to throw it all out?

If it were me, I'd toss it. I wouldn't want to take the chance. And I don't relish being sick.
kadesma.

If you ate it I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person to do so (and in all honesty you would probably live). There is a chance that you could get sick so if you do decide to eat it I wouldn't feed it to kids or the elderly.

I'm a poor college kid so I don't like food going to waste. I've done worse probably.

The general rule of thumb is that food like that should not be in the danger zone (40-140F) for more than two hours. It is not worth the risk.

When in doubt, throw it out.

Sorry. I know it comprises a lot of time and money, but food poisoning is no fun, and can be dangerous. Better to be safe than sorry.

Toss it. Don't even give it to the dog because if it is bad you don't want a sick dog and vet bill.

Reiterating what's already been said, my training and practice has been "When in doubt, throw it out." Speaking from experience, food poisoning is no fun.

Well, this is not the first time, we have discussion like this here. I am always in minority. First thing first. Was it hot when you put in container, or was it cold? Did you smell it? How does it smell? Did you try to taste it? How does it taste? Chances are that I would keep it. There is no way it could have gone bad over night.

There is no way it could have gone bad over night.

Sorry, Charlie (I just had to ;))

But it very easily could have spoiled overnight. It might not have, sure. But it might be contaminated.

I would not risk it. The first time you do and you get sick, your tune is changed forever.

Did you smell it? How does it smell?
This is not a reliable way to test as there are toxins that could be in the food that do not alter the smell.

Chances are that the food was fine. The problem though is that if you are wrong then the consequences could be severe, with death being a possibility. I always go back to my seat belt analogy. You could drive for 50 years without ever wearing a seat belt once and never have a problem, but that one time you finally do get into an accident you will wish you would have worn it. At that point it is too late though.

It stinks dumping out what might be perfectly good food, but it is better than getting violently ill or even possibly dying.

JennyEma said:
I would not risk it. The first time you do and you get sick, your tune is changed forever.

Very True!! About 5 years ago I had a World Class case of food poisoning. It took 3 full days for my system to get back to some sibilance of normalcy ---- Two of those days my constant prayer was..."Just let me go ahead and die" --- :ermm: ~~ There is no food, nor no amount of food that is worth it...Dispose of it, and move on!!

I would probably pitch it. However, both my DH and our son would probably go ahead and eat it. By my count I think they each should have dropped dead from questionable food ages ago. On the other hand, if I ever want to "off" my DH....Bwahahaha!!!!

Hear is your problem. You introduced bacteria when you took it off the heat and ladled it out originally, as the ladle wasn't sterile. Then you introduced more bacteria as you stood over it breathing and having microbes and skin falling into it. Still more when you introduced it to that warped and un-sterile container. Were any of those bacteria pathogenic? No way to tell.

My favorite analogy is Karl Wallenda of the Flying Wallendas circus act. For 60 years he survived thousands of shows walking the high wire without a net. Then one day, he didn't.

Back
Top Bottom