"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I just leave them on the tree until I need them.
That is what we do too as we have lemon and orange trees

When we didnt though, I would leave them on the counter, but thinking fridge would be better

Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Would you guys in tropical climates please just cut it out? Would love a citrus tree here, but they don't tolerate below 0 F. I'm envious!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Would you guys in tropical climates please just cut it out? Would love a citrus tree here, but they don't tolerate below 0 F. I'm envious!
++1!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
Senior Cook

We have a produce store that is so cheap that I don't worry about my produce going bad. I can get 5 lemons for a dollar so I always have them on hand. I keep mine in the fridge though.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
You can grow them at home and not even need a greenhouse. I managed to get a few Meyer Lemons off a tree (started out about a 5" cutting) before it got infested with whitefly from some cheap gardenia I picked up somewhere. Had to pitch the lemon AND a couple other plants.

If you don't have a tropical plant nursery you can order from Logee's in Connecticut. If nothing else, their site is neat for killing time.

Our BIL loves coffee more than anyone I know! As a joke housewarming gift I bought him a small (less than 1') coffee tree. Good thing they have a 2-story entry hall - in about 6 years that thing has grown to about 8 feet! He gets beans off of it, but never more than a dozen at a time.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Some kosher salt and mason jars can help them last a good long time at room temp.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

You can grow them at home and not even need a greenhouse. I managed to get a few Meyer Lemons off a tree (started out about a 5" cutting) before it got infested with whitefly from some cheap gardenia I picked up somewhere. Had to pitch the lemon AND a couple other plants.

If you don't have a tropical plant nursery you can order from Logee's in Connecticut. If nothing else, their site is neat for killing time.

Our BIL loves coffee more than anyone I know! As a joke housewarming gift I bought him a small (less than 1') coffee tree. Good thing they have a 2-story entry hall - in about 6 years that thing has grown to about 8 feet! He gets beans off of it, but never more than a dozen at a time.
In my hippy-dippy days, I grew many things (legal) from seed. I had an avocado tree that grew so tall that we needed a hole cut in the ceiling, mango, and lemon trees. Nothing ever fruited, but they sure got big!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
yeah....no fair
Old 06-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
There have been a few times our strawberries grew beards.

I store my lemons and limes in the fruit drawer of my refrigerator, but take out what I need for a meal the night before. I think the reason the TV shows have lemons on the counter is because the props crew set them out to make the counter look pretty. I bet IRL those lemons are kept in the 'fridge when the filming is done.
I bet you are right Cooking Goddess...makes sense and it sounds as though the general concensus (here) stores their citrus in the fridge bins. Good to know and I'm glad I asked

it also makes sense that you would get more juice out of the lemons if they are at room temperature when you juice them. I usually roll them back and forth on the counter in the palm of my hand after I take them from the fridge. That helps get as much juice as possible out of the citrus.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Counter if you are going to use them within a week. Others I slice and freeze for instant garnishes in Tea, G&Ts and soft drinks

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote