Lemons-store in fridge or on counter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamafoodie

Assistant Cook
I notice on most cooking shows that they keep their lemons/limes/oranges in a basket on the counter.
I have always stored my citrus'y things in a bin in the frig.
but then again when you buy them at a grocery store you do not find them in a cooler.
So are there any pros or cons for storing them in a fridge? Does it matter?

Good question. I always store mine on the counter because I thought that they give up more juice when they are warm. (Hence the microwave method of extracting more juice.) But that might be completely wrong. Looking forward to a more definitive answer then "because my mom did that" which is what I was relying on.

Fridge for my citrus, they last a long time. I also freeze limes whole when I get a big bag at Costco. I guess it depends on how soon you plan to use them. They do look pretty in the baskets.

Last edited:
You can store them at room temperature for a week or so. They will last longer in your refrigerator crisper drawer.

From personal experience, when they get a fuzzy blue-green coating and leak a brownish liquid into the bottom of the crisper drawer, it's time to think about throwing them out.

From personal experience, when they get a fuzzy blue-green coating and leak a brownish liquid into the bottom of the crisper drawer, it's time to think about throwing them out.

Dang. No wonder my lemonade tasted funny.

There have been a few times our strawberries grew beards. :ermm:

I store my lemons and limes in the fruit drawer of my refrigerator, but take out what I need for a meal the night before. I think the reason the TV shows have lemons on the counter is because the props crew set them out to make the counter look pretty. I bet IRL those lemons are kept in the 'fridge when the filming is done.

You can store them at room temperature for a week or so. They will last longer in your refrigerator crisper drawer.

What?!? That's when I name them...and make sure they have water in their bowl.

Would you guys in tropical climates please just cut it out? Would love a citrus tree here, but they don't tolerate below 0° F. I'm envious! :)

Last edited:
We have a produce store that is so cheap that I don't worry about my produce going bad. I can get 5 lemons for a dollar so I always have them on hand. I keep mine in the fridge though.

Would you guys in tropical climates please just cut it out? Would love a citrus tree here, but they don't tolerate below 0° F. I'm envious! :)

You can grow them at home and not even need a greenhouse. I managed to get a few Meyer Lemons off a tree (started out about a 5" cutting) before it got infested with whitefly from some cheap gardenia I picked up somewhere. Had to pitch the lemon AND a couple other plants. :mad:

If you don't have a tropical plant nursery you can order from Logee's in Connecticut. If nothing else, their site is neat for killing time.

Our BIL loves coffee more than anyone I know! As a joke housewarming gift I bought him a small (less than 1') coffee tree. Good thing they have a 2-story entry hall - in about 6 years that thing has grown to about 8 feet! He gets beans off of it, but never more than a dozen at a time.

Some kosher salt and mason jars can help them last a good long time at room temp.;)

You can grow them at home and not even need a greenhouse. I managed to get a few Meyer Lemons off a tree (started out about a 5" cutting) before it got infested with whitefly from some cheap gardenia I picked up somewhere. Had to pitch the lemon AND a couple other plants. :mad:

If you don't have a tropical plant nursery you can order from Logee's in Connecticut. If nothing else, their site is neat for killing time.

Our BIL loves coffee more than anyone I know! As a joke housewarming gift I bought him a small (less than 1') coffee tree. Good thing they have a 2-story entry hall - in about 6 years that thing has grown to about 8 feet! He gets beans off of it, but never more than a dozen at a time.

:LOL: In my hippy-dippy days, I grew many things (legal) from seed. I had an avocado tree that grew so tall that we needed a hole cut in the ceiling, mango, and lemon trees. Nothing ever fruited, but they sure got big!

There have been a few times our strawberries grew beards. :ermm:

I store my lemons and limes in the fruit drawer of my refrigerator, but take out what I need for a meal the night before. I think the reason the TV shows have lemons on the counter is because the props crew set them out to make the counter look pretty. I bet IRL those lemons are kept in the 'fridge when the filming is done.

I bet you are right Cooking Goddess...makes sense and it sounds as though the general concensus (here) stores their citrus in the fridge bins. Good to know and I'm glad I asked

it also makes sense that you would get more juice out of the lemons if they are at room temperature when you juice them. I usually roll them back and forth on the counter in the palm of my hand after I take them from the fridge. That helps get as much juice as possible out of the citrus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom