Marinade as stir-fry sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom23girls

Assistant Cook
Quick question. I just marinated some flank steak in a bottled teriyaki sauce. I stir-fried the meat in the sauce and added the veggies. Just occurred to me that the marinade might not be safe to cook in. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive about this sort of thing and just wondered if this was safe?

The marinade and the steak were together while marinating. If cooking the steak made it safe to eat, cooking the marinade would make it safe to eat also.

I agree with Andy, the marinade should have cooked along with the steak and become safe. Especially since stir-fries are supposed to be done at high heat.

I don't think the article is saying it is not safe (excepting poultry), it is just saying that cooking in the marinade changes the method of cooking you are using and hence will change the end product.
In this case, he was making a teriyaki stir fry and just used bottle teriyaki for the marinade so it would work with what he was trying to make, not change it.

Many times with pork and chicken I'll put the marinade in a pan and reduce it for use as a sauce/ baste/ dip.

As long as time and temperature guidelines are followed while marinading and the marinade is heated to a minimum of 165 degrees for a minimum of 15 seconds , its safe. Of course reducing exceeds this requirement.

If you are planning to use the marinade as a sauce to spoon over the dish, you have to boil it for a full minute. If you are just using what is still clinging to the meat when you put it into the hot pan, as long as the meat is in the pan for a minute, getting full heat, it's fine. If you start spooning it over the vegetables, the vegetables may be done sooner than the marinade is fully cooked.

I make stirfries at least once a week. Nine times out of 10 whatever protein I'm using (meat, poultry, seafood, tofu, tempeh) is marinated & the whole kit & kaboodle goes into the searingly hot wok at once. No problems; no worries.

The marinade should be safe to cook in, especially if you are frying.

I work with microorganisms (like bacteria and fungi) and most of them will die if you heat them up to high temperatures. That's one of the reasons you should always cook your meat long enough. I usually cook it until I see little spots of burnt (I do like my food a bit burnt for some reason). Frying is not a problem because all parts of your food will be well cooked if you leave them there for long enough. If you have a chicken in the oven, high internal temperature is important, because you don't want certain bacteria to thrive at below killing temperatures.

I hope that helps.

Hai

I agree that the marinade can be used as a stir fry sauce. I have done this for years because I can't bear to throw away the wonderful marinade. If you can cook the meat and veggies that have marinated, there is no reason not to use the marinade as a cooking sauce. The key word here, or course, is COOK. If you don't want to use it as a cooking sauce but still want to pour it over the dish, it has to boil for a couple of minutes first to kill the raw meat bacteria.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom