Marsala wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimber

Assistant Cook
I want to make Chicken Marsala. Where do I store the bottle of Marsala, and how long will it keep? Thanks!

Marsala wine, which is similar to a fortified port, is kept at a cool room temperature. Until opened, it should last for a very long time, but once it's opened, personally, I would use it or drink it within a month or two, keeping it cool but not refrigerated.

Okay, thank you. Saves me wasting it. Maybe veal marsala in a couple weeks. I started buying dry red and whites in these little 4 packs, so I can only use what I need and keep the rest for later. But these aren't available for Marsala. I'm just not a big drinker. Thanks, again

I actually find that Marsala keeps for years pretty much even after opened as long as it is stored in a cool dark place.

My Marsala never lasts long...
I like dessert wines like that, and sherry, so they get sampled often, LOL!

Don't you know an excuse in order to have a "sip" every other night or two!? ;) Particularly with sponge cake and ice cream.

Last edited:
There are two types of marsalas, sweet and dry. Dry marsala is used for savory dishes like veal/chicken marsala and sweet marsala is used for desserts.

Either will keep for a long time in a cool dark spot.

The cheaper cooking wines of either type will last a year at least.
A good bottle for sippin and cooking will lose a lot after a month or two.I treat port like wine and make sure it is gone before anything can change it.(The sun rising for example)

Everyone, thank you so much! Maybe I will take a taste, or three, just to make sure it's okay. I'm really looking forward to cooler weather so I can get back into my cooking groove!

Marsala wine, which is similar to a fortified port, is kept at a cool room temperature. Until opened, it should last for a very long time, but once it's opened, personally, I would use it or drink it within a month or two, keeping it cool but not refrigerated.

I disagree, and so do any of my colleagues I've ever discussed it with.

Although fortified wines will not keep forever, pretty much Marsala will keep until you use it up. Whenever that is. It comes in a screw-cap bottle, and I just close it up and put it back in the liquor cabinet. Pretty much like I would with Bourbon or Scotch.

However, there are two kinds of Marsala..... Dry and Sweet. For your Chicken Marsala (or Veal Marsala) you want the dry. The sweet is for desserts like Zabaglione. :)

America's Test Kitchen had a whole episode on Chicken marsala and urged you to use SWEET marsala instead of dry. I was skeptical ...

Since it was a dish I make pretty frequently, I tried it with sweet marsala and it was terrific. Not too sweet, nicely balanced.

Here's the recipe: Perfect chicken from America

For cooking, I'd say Marsala will last until it's used up. Sure, it will probably loose some of its more subtle attributes, but those would almost certainly be lost in the cooking process anyway.

One advantage to fortified wines is they DO have a longer shelf life than other wines, and have a more mellow flavor when cooking (sherry, vermouth, port are others). Cool and dark storage. Mine also don't last that long! But some people don't really drink it, just use wines to cook with, and for them I always recommend a fortified wine.

America's Test Kitchen had a whole episode on Chicken marsala and urged you to use SWEET marsala instead of dry. I was skeptical ...

Since it was a dish I make pretty frequently, I tried it with sweet marsala and it was terrific. Not too sweet, nicely balanced.

Here's the recipe: Perfect chicken from America

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I made Veal Marsala once with sweet Marsala by mistake, and it was DREADFUL. We threw it out and went with the accompanying spaghetti instead.

I also don't consider America's Test Kitchen to be any byword for what is good or best in food. And I am not alone in my feelings about them.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I made Veal Marsala once with sweet Marsala by mistake, and it was DREADFUL. We threw it out and went with the accompanying spaghetti instead.

I also don't consider America's Test Kitchen to be any byword for what is good or best in food. And I am not alone in my feelings about them.

I've had mixed results with ATK recipes. See my Chris Kimball rant elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom