"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
General rule of thumb is food should not be in the danger zone for more than 2 hours. The OP should not have any issue with his steak.

As far as letting steak come to room temp before putting it on the heat, this has been shown to not do anything.
Nothing as far as the quality of the outcome if cooked properly. It would make the steak cook faster (reach the proper internal temp).

Are most steak recipes given with an assumed room temp product or basically while still in the 40 degree range?
__________________

__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,291
I had always heard to get the "proper sear" on the meat, it should be resting at room temperature for 30 minutes.
__________________

__________________
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Nothing as far as the quality of the outcome if cooked properly. It would make the steak cook faster (reach the proper internal temp).

Are most steak recipes given with an assumed room temp product or basically while still in the 40 degree range?
Steven Raichlen did a test and while you are technically correct that a room temp piece of meat cooks faster he concluded that there was really no practical difference.

I used to let my steaks rest at room temp before cooking. After I read Stevens piece I tried just cooking it straight from the fridge. I did not find any measurable difference.

One thing I found interesting from his article was that he said restaurants all take it right from the fridge and put it straight on the heat. They can not just have meat sitting out in the hopes that someone will order it in the next half hour.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I had always heard to get the "proper sear" on the meat, it should be resting at room temperature for 30 minutes.

I've understood the resting at room temperature to relate to more uniform cooking that a proper sear. If your pan is really hot, as it should be, searing temps on the meat's surface will be attained almost instantaneously.

If the interior is 25F-30F warmer, it will reach the desired degree of doneness faster, taking less of a toll on the surface.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Nothing as far as the quality of the outcome if cooked properly. It would make the steak cook faster (reach the proper internal temp).

Are most steak recipes given with an assumed room temp product or basically while still in the 40 degree range?
This is the method I have used for prime rib, so yes, room temp can be very important for cooking time.
YouTube - ‪Perfect Prime Rib of Beef - Prime Rib Method X‬‏

I've never read a steak recipe, but lots of folks I know let the steak sit out for a while. Some (including me) season it then, too. I doubt they are out long enough to actually get room temp though. It's something I do because I've always seen it done that way... except when camping and worried about flies. Then I pull it right out of the cooler. And to tell the truth, I don't notice a difference either way.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Steven Raichlen did a test and while you are technically correct that a room temp piece of meat cooks faster he concluded that there was really no practical difference.

I used to let my steaks rest at room temp before cooking. After I read Stevens piece I tried just cooking it straight from the fridge. I did not find any measurable difference.

One thing I found interesting from his article was that he said restaurants all take it right from the fridge and put it straight on the heat. They can not just have meat sitting out in the hopes that someone will order it in the next half hour.
I agree GB. Cooks Illustrated writers have said the the only difference is the room temp steak may cook "a couple" of minutes faster.

Of course, two minutes on a hot grill can easily be the difference between medium rare and medium. As can the difference in temperature from one place in the grill to another.

Steak is too expensive to guess for me so I have used a probe with an external monitor and alarm when the food reaches my desired temp.
__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Cook
 
MyCrummyApartment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
While grocery shopping and returning home, I had a piece of meat (steak, flank) that was out of its refridgerated condition for about 30-45 minutes. Is there any potential risk if I cook and eat the steak? Normally I try to get the meat very last and return home immediately so that it is only out for 15-20 minutes. It was an overcast 55 degree (F) day. Am I just being paranoid?
Yes, paranoid.

It takes me close to an hour to process a top sirloin butt and the meat is on open counter until I package it all when the butchering and trimming is done.

You can often tell when meat is going to be a problem because is gets slimy and starts to smell. But that takes hours, not minutes.
__________________
Real cooking videos for small kitchens.
Hot to cut your own Sirloin Steaks from Costco
MyCrummyApartment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Usa
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
While grocery shopping and returning home, I had a piece of meat (steak, flank) that was out of its refridgerated condition for about 30-45 minutes. Is there any potential risk if I cook and eat the steak? Normally I try to get the meat very last and return home immediately so that it is only out for 15-20 minutes. It was an overcast 55 degree (F) day. Am I just being paranoid?
Flank steak can last 2 hours "TOPS" out on the counter as long as the ac is running or was really cool in the kitchen.

I wouldn't trust it otherwise if it was out in a hot kitchen, It could have boosted the Pathogen time a lot.
__________________
The OutDoor Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,705
the flank steak should be fine.

btw, i thought the two hour rule was only for already cooked food, and maybe a little longer with foods not as susceptible to pathogen growth, such as acidic foods, etc..
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #20
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Usa
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the flank steak should be fine.

btw, i thought the two hour rule was only for already cooked food, and maybe a little longer with foods not as susceptible to pathogen growth, such as acidic foods, etc..
Nope it doesn't Buckytom.

According to my serve-safe textbook you have a 2 hour window for most types of raw meat.

We utilize this window time in BBQ a lot.

Hell chicken raw can stay out on the counter for 2 hours.
__________________

__________________
The OutDoor Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking, meat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.