"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Medium-rare duck breast

Does anyone know why it's generally considered OK to cook duck breast medium-rare? I tried Google, but all I found was a lot of amateur speculation.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I always cook duck breasts to medium - medium rare. I've had it served to me that way in restaurants.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Head Chef

Actually, duck is as susceptible to bacteria as any other poultry, particularly listeria and salmonella. Check this article:

Food Poisoning Bacteria Prefer Duck To Beef On Meat Factory Surfaces

This site recommends cooking duck to an internal temperature of 70 degrees Centigrade (158 Fahrenheit):

"Should duck be cooked to an internal temperature less than 70C as per the requirements for poultry? It is common practice to have duck pink and bloody in the middle - but is it associated with salmonella? The practice of serving duck pink in the middle is traditional practice in restaurants, and yes there is a potential risk of salmonella. It is suggested that if the duck is not pierced by a knife or similar object then bacteria have not been introduced to the duck breast. This is similar to rare or blue steaks. However, to be safe, cook your ducks thoroughly."

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if the duck if purchased from a reliable source and seems to be in good shape, but OTOH I wouldn't serve rare duck to kids, old folks, or anyone with compromised health.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Head Chef

Although I love my steaks rare/medium rare, I cannot fathom eating medium rare duck (or ahi tuna for that matter). Just my idiosyncrasy.