"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I keep mine until it gets to the point where it won't come clean any more. Then I'll use it strictly for cleaning thing like the appliances, cabinets, etc..

But I guess nuking or zapping it in the microwave is better than washing it in the dishwasher because of the higher temps to kill more germs and bacteria.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I keep my cellulose sponges for probably a couple of months. I wash them in the sink, in the dishwasher and bleach them. Now I will also use the microwave. I keep them until they no longer look clean. Also, I am the only person in the house who is authorized to use these sponges. DH is banned from touching them. The first thing I do when I return from a trip is to bleach the sponges, because I know DH used them!! He will not follow the rule that sponges are not to be used below the level of the counter tops.
Thanks for this effective tip!!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I keep my cellulose sponges for probably a couple of months. I wash them in the sink, in the dishwasher and bleach them. Now I will also use the microwave. I keep them until they no longer look clean. Also, I am the only person in the house who is authorized to use these sponges. DH is banned from touching them. The first thing I do when I return from a trip is to bleach the sponges, because I know DH used them!! He will not follow the rule that sponges are not to be used below the level of the counter tops.
Thanks for this effective tip!!
I once made the cardinal error of wiping a spill on the floor with the same sponge that I had been using to wash pots with. (This was a very rare time when Lou didn't do the actual washing for me...) Lou saw me doing it, and then watched all clandestine like to see if I'd discard it immediately afterward. When I rinsed it off, he, with nothing but the love in his heart , sincerely but strongly pointed out the error of my ways. He was absolutely right, of course...but I refused to cede the point, even to this day. Now, when he does wash, I will playfully point out anything on the floor that needs to be wiped up (with paper towel, of course) immediately or I might be compelled to use the sponge.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
Sous Chef

I've microwaved my sponge nightly (or almost every night) and discard it and get out a new one once a month, for about the last 2 years. I had read an article like that and started doing it after a bad bout of pneumonia in 2005. I use the Scotch Brite No Scratch sponges that have a scrubby side, and they microwave just fine. It's one of the last things I do in the kitchen each night. I get the coffee pot ready for the morning, do the last wipe-down of the counter, rinse the sponge, pop it in for one minute and just leave it in there overnight. Next morning it's ready for the day. When I flip the calendar to the next month, I toss the old and get out a new one. It's worth it to me to have the peace of mind that I'm not wiping the house down with who-knows-what kind of germs, so I just made it a habit.

BC

Editing to say - maybe I should leave it in for two minutes - I had read that one minute killed the majority of the germs, but this article says two.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I posted a new thread today about this topic because I couldnt find which forum this thread was started. Thanks for the tip Cora! This most definately works. I wet the sponge, nuked it for maybe 15 seconds, and was careful not to touch it with my bare hands as GB mentioned. Wa La, the sponge was clean, didnt smell of any germs at all. Great tip! Oh and I had the scrubby type sponge and it was just fine.

Thanks to whomever moved my thread into this one :)
Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #26
Head Chef

HHmmm, I wish I had a microwave now! Actually, I prefer discloths, but cannot find any in Italy, so am using sponges. No dishwasher either, as you can imagine, I get through a lot of sponges!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #27
Sous Chef

I never knew that either. I tell you one thing a microwave doesn't do, it doesn't kill fliers. Don't know what it is about them but they just fly away after you open the door
Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #28
Head Chef

BBC story following up the original, but with a bit more info:

BBC NEWS | Health | Microwave ovens sterilise sponges
Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Now it says on the news not to let the sponge go any more than two minutes in the microwave and to make sure that it's wet (damp dry) when you put it in.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Yes Corey. You NEVER want to run a microwave without some sort of liquid in it.