"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
I keep mine until it gets to the point where it won't come clean any more. Then I'll use it strictly for cleaning thing like the appliances, cabinets, etc..

But I guess nuking or zapping it in the microwave is better than washing it in the dishwasher because of the higher temps to kill more germs and bacteria.
__________________

__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,599
I keep my cellulose sponges for probably a couple of months. I wash them in the sink, in the dishwasher and bleach them. Now I will also use the microwave. I keep them until they no longer look clean. Also, I am the only person in the house who is authorized to use these sponges. DH is banned from touching them. The first thing I do when I return from a trip is to bleach the sponges, because I know DH used them!! He will not follow the rule that sponges are not to be used below the level of the counter tops.
Thanks for this effective tip!!
__________________

__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I keep my cellulose sponges for probably a couple of months. I wash them in the sink, in the dishwasher and bleach them. Now I will also use the microwave. I keep them until they no longer look clean. Also, I am the only person in the house who is authorized to use these sponges. DH is banned from touching them. The first thing I do when I return from a trip is to bleach the sponges, because I know DH used them!! He will not follow the rule that sponges are not to be used below the level of the counter tops.
Thanks for this effective tip!!
I once made the cardinal error of wiping a spill on the floor with the same sponge that I had been using to wash pots with. (This was a very rare time when Lou didn't do the actual washing for me...) Lou saw me doing it, and then watched all clandestine like to see if I'd discard it immediately afterward. When I rinsed it off, he, with nothing but the love in his heart , sincerely but strongly pointed out the error of my ways. He was absolutely right, of course...but I refused to cede the point, even to this day. Now, when he does wash, I will playfully point out anything on the floor that needs to be wiped up (with paper towel, of course) immediately or I might be compelled to use the sponge.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
Sous Chef
 
BlueCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA, Illinois
Posts: 551
I've microwaved my sponge nightly (or almost every night) and discard it and get out a new one once a month, for about the last 2 years. I had read an article like that and started doing it after a bad bout of pneumonia in 2005. I use the Scotch Brite No Scratch sponges that have a scrubby side, and they microwave just fine. It's one of the last things I do in the kitchen each night. I get the coffee pot ready for the morning, do the last wipe-down of the counter, rinse the sponge, pop it in for one minute and just leave it in there overnight. Next morning it's ready for the day. When I flip the calendar to the next month, I toss the old and get out a new one. It's worth it to me to have the peace of mind that I'm not wiping the house down with who-knows-what kind of germs, so I just made it a habit.

BC

Editing to say - maybe I should leave it in for two minutes - I had read that one minute killed the majority of the germs, but this article says two.
__________________
BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
amber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Maine
Posts: 4,099
I posted a new thread today about this topic because I couldnt find which forum this thread was started. Thanks for the tip Cora! This most definately works. I wet the sponge, nuked it for maybe 15 seconds, and was careful not to touch it with my bare hands as GB mentioned. Wa La, the sponge was clean, didnt smell of any germs at all. Great tip! Oh and I had the scrubby type sponge and it was just fine.

Thanks to whomever moved my thread into this one :)
__________________
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #26
Head Chef
 
lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
Posts: 2,039
HHmmm, I wish I had a microwave now! Actually, I prefer discloths, but cannot find any in Italy, so am using sponges. No dishwasher either, as you can imagine, I get through a lot of sponges!
__________________
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #27
Sous Chef
 
attie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mackay Queensland Australia
Posts: 719
I never knew that either. I tell you one thing a microwave doesn't do, it doesn't kill fliers. Don't know what it is about them but they just fly away after you open the door
__________________
attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #28
Head Chef
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,167
BBC story following up the original, but with a bit more info:

BBC NEWS | Health | Microwave ovens sterilise sponges
__________________
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
Now it says on the news not to let the sponge go any more than two minutes in the microwave and to make sure that it's wet (damp dry) when you put it in.
__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Yes Corey. You NEVER want to run a microwave without some sort of liquid in it.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.