"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
corazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,859
Microwave kills 99% of germs in sponges

Saw this article today, and thought I'd pass it along Microwave zaps 99 percent of germs on sponges - Infectious Diseases - MSNBC.com
I usually stick my sponge in the dishwasher but it says here that 2 minutes in the microwave kills 99% of germs.

Happy cooking!

__________________

__________________
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
Saw this article today, and thought I'd pass it along Microwave zaps 99 percent of germs on sponges - Infectious Diseases - MSNBC.com
I usually stick my sponge in the dishwasher but it says here that 2 minutes in the microwave kills 99% of germs.

Happy cooking!
And I was planning on putting my less-than-pristine kitchen sponge in the dishwasher tonight.

Instead, I'll zap it. But so help me, corazon, if it explodes, I'll find you.
__________________

__________________
suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
Great find!!

I never even knew that. I've been using Lysol Spray for that. They make a spray specifically for the kitchen now.

And yes, a sponge CAN pick up unwanted parasites, germs and pathogens that can eventually be harmful to your health.

And it can start smelling kind of funky as well, like a smelly rag or dish cloth. I've also soaked them in some bleach and water.
__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I do this all the time, but be very careful. Make sure the sponge is wet when you put it in and remember it will be VERY hot when you take it out.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thanks for the tip Corazon. I used to soak it in bleach but will try the microwave.
__________________
Dina
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
And all this blasted time, I thought the microwave was just for cooking and reheating food!
__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Illinois/USA
Posts: 1,343
What about the ones with the green scrub on one side; will that be safe too?
__________________
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
What about the ones with the green scrub on one side; will that be safe too?
I was wondering the same thing - I usually just throw mine away because they get so...icky. Didn't think you could do anything with them...
__________________
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Just make sure it is wet.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
amber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Maine
Posts: 4,099
I also buy the ones with the scrub on the one side, so I dont think that would be safe since it probably contains some sort of metal. I just use bleach and hot water, or just toss it away if it gets too funky smelling.
__________________

__________________
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.