Microwave kills 99% of germs in sponges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great find!!

I never even knew that. I've been using Lysol Spray for that. They make a spray specifically for the kitchen now.

And yes, a sponge CAN pick up unwanted parasites, germs and pathogens that can eventually be harmful to your health.

And it can start smelling kind of funky as well, like a smelly rag or dish cloth. I've also soaked them in some bleach and water.

I do this all the time, but be very careful. Make sure the sponge is wet when you put it in and remember it will be VERY hot when you take it out.

StirBlue said:
What about the ones with the green scrub on one side; will that be safe too?

I was wondering the same thing - I usually just throw mine away because they get so...icky. Didn't think you could do anything with them...

I also buy the ones with the scrub on the one side, so I dont think that would be safe since it probably contains some sort of metal. I just use bleach and hot water, or just toss it away if it gets too funky smelling.

amber said:
I also buy the ones with the scrub on the one side, so I dont think that would be safe since it probably contains some sort of metal. I just use bleach and hot water, or just toss it away if it gets too funky smelling.

i'll check mine when i get home from school tonight to see if there's an "ingredients" list for the sponge :ermm:

I just saw it on the local network news.

They said supposedly, that you can let the sponge be nuked for up to 10 minutes, but there is no guarrantee that the sponge won't be destroyed in that amount of time.

suzyQ3 said:
And I was planning on putting my less-than-pristine kitchen sponge in the dishwasher tonight.

Instead, I'll zap it. But so help me, corazon, if it explodes, I'll find you.

and I was thinking of throwing mine out!!!

Seriously...how long do most of you keep a kitchen sponge for??? I change mine each Saturday morning.

I keep mine until they look bad, but I do run them through the dishwasher and I microwave them quite frequently. I have also been known to throw then in with some bleach and water as well.

Back
Top Bottom