Microwave Warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bernlyn

Assistant Cook
I had an e-mail stating that plastic bowls used in the microwave are known to use a cancerous cell or something - anyone else had this e-mail and know how true it is ?

It's probably not true. I don't know if this is the email you received (it would help if you quote from it, so we can see what you're talking about), but here is a page that debunks something similar: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Microwaving Plastic Releases Cancer-Causing Agents

If that is not the one you received, you can search to see if the one you have is there. At google.com, search for this:

site:snopes.com microwave plastic

I have an aunt who FREAKS out when I bring food in a plastic container/bowl because she has to transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl before reheating it in the nuker. I think she's nutty. She also says not to ever use Saran Wrap in the microwave either.

She probably knows something I don't know, but ignorance is bliss! Until I grow a second nose, it's plastic in the microwave for me.

I have an aunt who FREAKS out when I bring food in a plastic container/bowl because she has to transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl before reheating it in the nuker. I think she's nutty. She also says not to ever use Saran Wrap in the microwave either.
I don't like using plastic in the microwave but only because it stains so badly and then I feel like I can only put red sauced stuff in the stained bowls, but that's the only reason. No fears of anything.

I do not, however, use Saran Wrap because it caught on fire and melted all over my food one time with my old microwave. I just don't trust the stuff and there are too many other options to use something proven to melt when too hot.

All thermoplastics release gas, this condition is augmented by heat. I am not suggesting anything here, but I prefer to use glass ilo plastic to store food.

All thermoplastics release gas, this condition is augmented by heat. I am not suggesting anything here, but I prefer to use glass ilo plastic to store food.
Do you not think food goes bad faster in glass? I know when I store casseroles in the glass I cook them in they go bad pretty quick.

Callisto in NC,
I am not sure about your question, I rarely store food for more than one day (in glass and reheat in the pan, not the container).
As fas as I know glass is pretty inert, but it doesn't conduct heat as well as metals thus cooking with it requires some adjustments. Perhaps this results on the food being more prone to spoil faster?... good question!

I gave up on plastic and just have glass now as well. They do, however, have plastic air-tight lids for storage. I have never had a problem with them going bad any faster than when I used to store them in plastic containers in the past.
I think I have three heavy duty plastic bowls still hanging around here with air-tight lids, we use them during the summer to hold our food while out working all day. I do not allow them to be used in the microwave at all, but not for health reasons either.

Callisto in NC,
I am not sure about your question, I rarely store food for more than one day (in glass and reheat in the pan, not the container).
As fas as I know glass is pretty inert, but it doesn't conduct heat as well as metals thus cooking with it requires some adjustments. Perhaps this results on the food being more prone to spoil faster?... good question!
You answered in that you don't store food more than a day. In my house I store food up to a week and then freeze in plastic. I can't imagine all that I would toss if I didn't.

I hear you Callisto in NC,
I live with my two daughters, one is a vegetarian and I do all the cooking. We all learned to plan in advance and cook small portions.
Other than stocks or sauces, I pretty much store leftovers. They are recycled the next day, since I gotta make room in the fridge for fresh produce.
Our garbage is one 30 lts (8 Gal) bag per week max., most of the time half of that.
Same as you, I can't imagine tossing out food.

My only concern about plastic is that it can absorb fat molecules, which means a) they can absorb odors and flavors, and perhaps impart them to other foods, and b) it is really hard to whip egg whites in a bowl that has absorbed fat, since the fat prevents the bubbles from forming somehow.

As for plastics in the microwave, I have never really concerned myself with it, but then I hardly ever use the microwave.

Most of the time we heat our food in our plates. I never use saran wrap to cover, but use paper plates. We find that we like that better than paper towels,because the towels fall down more in the food than the plates.:):)

My only concern about plastic is that it can absorb fat molecules, which means a) they can absorb odors and flavors, and perhaps impart them to other foods, and b) it is really hard to whip egg whites in a bowl that has absorbed fat, since the fat prevents the bubbles from forming somehow. ...

Plastics are chemically "cousins" of fats ... flexible plastics contain "plasticizers" which are even more closely related (kissing cousins). The plastric doesn't absorb the fat per se - the fat chemically bonds to the surface of the plastic. That's why you can't wash it out or get rid of the stains from something like a tomato sauce no matter what you try (vinegar, bleach, etc.). It's like trying to wash out the seasoning on a 25-year old cast iron skillet with only cold water.

Rigid plastics without plasticizers - like polycarbonate plastics - are far enough removed chemically from fats that they do not stain - but I've never tried to whip egg whites in polycarbonate plastic simply because I don't have any containers that are an appropriate shape.

As for the microwave - I only use "microwave safe" items - plastic, glass, pottery, etc.

As for the cancer causing items liberated by the microwave ... you probably get more from grilling a steak on an outdoor grill.

food spoiling in the fridge is much more a cause of the fridge being too warm. The fridge should be below 40* F... 37* is great ... your food will last much longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom