"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'm a "cut & eat" too. But I also do a little "taste test" of the reserved portion to make sure the mold just wasn't a warning that the whole cheese had turned.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I asked my dad one time about moldy cheese, his reply, Have you ever seen a cheese cave? Cut the mold off and eat the cleaned up part. He said that hung to cure cheese had mold on it which is trimmmed before being wrapped for sale! I don't know for certain, but, dad speaks, I listened
kadesma

Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
...making sure it hasn't also tunnelled a bit further into the cheese.
This is the only problem as far as I am concerned. Otherwise I am of the 'cut and eat' camp regardless of cheese hardness and amount of mold formed. There is, however, a reddish mold that appears on feta cheese when it is too far gone that I would not take chances with. Incidentally, feta is the worst behaving cheese I know of with respect to Candocook's tunnelling syndrome because of its porous and crumbly texture which allows 'tunelling' to advance very quickly and much deeper than just 'a bit further.'
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

Vac pac cheese, no more mold... for at least 6 weeks that is!!! But before the vac pac, I think I just tossed it.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
I am of the 'cut and eat' camp regardless of cheese hardness and amount of mold formed.
It is not recommended that soft cheeses with mold be eaten. It is too easy for the mold to spread throughout the whole thing. You can not always see it either.

Here is a page that may help.

Here is another.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
The only cheese we keep is shredded mozerella and cheddar in our freezer.
My mom says all cheese is "evil."
My brother, my dad and I make short work of the others. May it be for pizza, nachos, or quelsadillas.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #17
Head Chef

'Cut and eater' here. I don't really do the soft cheese thing unless it's purchased for a special event or platter. Then it's only around for a day (or a few hours).

Thanks for the comments from the vac packers. I was going to ask about that. I'm considering the purchase of a vac pac system, but the money's a bit tight because of ski season and I don't want to get a cheap model.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I happily just cut the pretty blue/green stuff off and eat what is underneath. Agree re cheeses such as fetta, camembert etc, chuck them out if they have been attacked.

Kadesma, I believe your Dad is correct. I was shocked when I first moved to Italy to see mold on SO many things. The salami's etc hanging in my in-laws cantina were covered in a thick coating of mold. Peel the skin away and the salami was always moist and perfect. Cheeses also. There is one cheese however that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Dont know the English word, or even if there is one. My BIL called it Marscapa, it is a mountain cheese similar to marscapone but much heavier, denser. The idea is to leave it until it turns a greenish/yellow colour and you can smell it from a mile away. Then it is ready to eat. My sister banished it from the house. Enrico would just cut the furry bits off and enjoy.
To me, that cheese was definitely ' off', but he obviously had a cast iron stomach. Or something.

Lyn
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it also depends on the mold color too, greens/blues are ok, there are some that you can`t see though esp in soft cheeses as already stated here, Deep 6 `em!
pathogens such as Listeria are also more likely on soft cheeses esp unpasteurised.

as for hard cheeses and extra mature types, cut it off and eat the rest, and if you can ID the type, it`s even ok to ignore the mold and eat it, the same applies to mychology though, so best play safe and chuck the mold out.

this doesn`t apply to cheeses like Danish Blue though :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Cut and salvage, all the time, cut and salvage. Just make sure you cut enough.