Mold on cheese - Do you cut it out or trash the whole thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopz said:
Cut it out... I am totally surprised that it took all the way to 4 pages for someone to get to the cheese cutting.
Well, sorry about keeping you in suspense until page 4, but I thought I should wait for the proper buildup first, shouldn't I?;)

I use a veg peeler to remove the mould. Then I eat the cheese.
The dog usually gets the mouldy bits, and he's never complained yet...:cool: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GB said:
Probably most assuming you know which molds you are dealing with.

agreed 100%+
as I said in my post, it`s like Mychology, unless you ARE an expert, it`s best not to risk it ever.
and not only that, there`s also a Good deal going on that you Can`t see:ohmy:

play Safe, not Sorry!

YT2095 said:
and not only that, there`s also a Good deal going on that you Can`t see:ohmy:play Safe, not Sorry!
YT, how can you then eat any cheese at all? Couldn't there be something going on that you cannot see?

it is indeed a Trust game, but that applies across the board.
however with such a product, if there are visible signs evident, then it`s logical to assume there will be other invisible pathogens present also.
bacteria falls into 2 main groups, aerobic and anaerobic sorts.
anaerobics will be inside the top layer of cheese, but only to a certain depth (they had to get there from the surface).
Aerobic types will be surface only (they need air) and are often visible spores.

hope that helps a little :)

I wonder if a good strong cheddar ever gets like a sourdough, or sponge, where the acidity ever becomes so strong that the mold cannot survive. I know that a well made 5 year aged cheddar is fairly dry (you can feel the salt crystals), a bit salty, and failry acidic (sour). All of those conditions inhibit the growth of micro-organizms.

Don't know if this is true, but it's a thought.

oh, I'm a cut and eat kind of guy too.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

YT2095 said:
it is indeed a Trust game, but that applies across the board.
however with such a product, if there are visible signs evident, then it`s logical to assume there will be other invisible pathogens present also.
bacteria falls into 2 main groups, aerobic and anaerobic sorts.
anaerobics will be inside the top layer of cheese, but only to a certain depth (they had to get there from the surface).
Aerobic types will be surface only (they need air) and are often visible spores.

hope that helps a little :)
Well, ok, but is the 'Trust game' safe enough? After what you said in your next to last post, I would also like to 'play safe not sorry' without any reliance on the 'Trust game.' Should I perhaps think in the direction of taking a cheese mold insurance policy?

Your aerobic/anaerobic discourse is as helpful as it could be. It is very educational to know what type of cheese mold you are cutting out before eating the balance of the cheese.

I have seen lots people just cut out the contaminated section......if it is hard cheddar however, I wouldn't take the chance! I would toss it.

boufa06 said:
Well, ok, but is the 'Trust game' safe enough? After what you said in your next to last post, I would also like to 'play safe not sorry' without any reliance on the 'Trust game.' Should I perhaps think in the direction of taking a cheese mold insurance policy?

the first part is not for me to comment on, nor would I as it`s a judgement call we all make and take daily, but rem, this IS only about Moldy Cheese and not some political fora (I get bored too easily with politics anyway).

as for the last part *sigh* Yes of Course you should, in fact this month I happen to be doing a Special for just such a policy!
a signed Blank cheque and a few till recipts of the cheese types you purchase monthly, should get you `Set Up` just nicely :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom