"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #21
Sous Chef

On hard cheeses I cut and eat - On Bleu cheese I encourage the aging and the more mold the creamier and more tasty it seems to me

Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
This is the only problem as far as I am concerned. Otherwise I am of the 'cut and eat' camp regardless of cheese hardness and amount of mold formed. There is, however, a reddish mold that appears on feta cheese when it is too far gone that I would not take chances with. Incidentally, feta is the worst behaving cheese I know of with respect to Candocook's tunnelling syndrome because of its porous and crumbly texture which allows 'tunelling' to advance very quickly and much deeper than just 'a bit further.'
I keep large containers of feta at work. I can go through 10 pounds one day, and not need any more for several days. Once the container is open, however, I am adamant about changing the water every day until I finish using it.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Have to respond about the feta tunnelling--I've never had that happen to feta. Interesting.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I am adamant about changing the water every day until I finish using it.
Keeping the feta submerged will protect it for sure but you must do so in brine and not in tap water. The latter will cause feta to soften beyond repair. Although the same (keeping feta submerged in brine) could be done in a home fridge too, in practice this is quite difficult. When buying feta from a supermarket, it comes drained from its brine and wrapped in paper. It is in this 'packaging' (or lack of it) that trouble is more likely to appear if the feta is not consumed quickly. On the other hand, if one buys feta already packed in brine but in small containers for home use, the mere removal of the first piece of feta causes the brine level to drop significantly exposing most of the feta left in the container and eventually causing it to mould. To sum it all up, you are lucky enough to consume feta quickly and avoid spoilage problems. For the rest of us, dealing with feta storage problems is a recurring situation.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
Master Chef

Gee - I just keep my unused feta in a closed container - no water, no brine - have had it last for weeks & weeks without any quality problems at all.

The only thing I keep in water that gets changed every day is tofu.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #26
Senior Cook

If cheese goes mouldy - toss it out!

Check out this site:

Can you cut mould off food and still eat it?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

daisy there is a big difference here though as what that study tested was cutting mold out of a sandwich, not out of a block of cheese.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
It is not recommended that soft cheeses with mold be eaten. It is too easy for the mold to spread throughout the whole thing. You can not always see it either.
While this may be so (after all how can an expert be considered expert if he doesn't sound a few alarms here and there), it has been my lifetime practice to simply cut off the mold and eat the rest of the cheese. I do recall some type of rather soft cheddar cheese that tasted so much better after molding and cleaning up. I guess you might say that ignorance is bliss! On the other hand, I might just like to live dangerously.

Seriously though, I have come to realizing quite some time ago what YT mentioned earlier in this thread, ie. that most cheese mold are quite safe to eat without even bothering to clean the molded part out. Now what expert would ever dare suggest this?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Now what expert would ever dare suggest this?
Probably most assuming you know which molds you are dealing with.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Gee - I just keep my unused feta in a closed container - no water, no brine - have had it last for weeks & weeks without any quality problems at all.
Lucky you!!! Oh how I wish I had even a fraction of your luck so as not to have to say goodbye to good feta as often as I do!