"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Probably most assuming you know which molds you are dealing with.
But how can I (or anyone else) know which specific mold I am dealing with in any given situation?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
But how can I (or anyone else) know which specific mold I am dealing with in any given situation?
If you are educated on that sort of thing then you know, just as someone who is educated in mushrooms will know which are deadly and which are not.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
If you are educated on that sort of thing then you know, just as someone who is educated in mushrooms will know which are deadly and which are not.
What kind of education do you think would lead to this specific knowledge? As for the mushrooms, they grow abundantly here and one way or another (but certainly NOT through some sort of formal education) we have learned which ones to eat and which ones to avoid. Incidentally, there is quite a disagreement as to which mushrooms are dangerous and which are not among local folk. The most striking case is a picture perfect orange-top and pale yellowish underside mushroom that can be either speckled on top or solid orange. We consider the solid orange good to eat and the speckled ones poisonous. By contrast, people from a nearby town consider the speckled ones good and the solid poisonous. Through what type of education would we resolve such a quandrary? Judging from your post, we must be rather ignorant of such matters over here. How are things over at your side? Do average people or the educated ones know their cheese molds as well as you imply that they do?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Do average people or the educated ones know their cheese molds as well as you imply that they do?
I am not implying anything of the sort. i am simply saying that there are hundreds upon hundreds of different types of mold. An expert in the field would know the names and characteristics of the different strains. The average person in their house would not. If someone has studied mold and has been educated in such things then it would be relatively safe to assume they would be abel to distinguish between harmless mold and dangerous mold.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am not implying anything of the sort. i am simply saying that there are hundreds upon hundreds of different types of mold. An expert in the field would know the names and characteristics of the different strains. The average person in their house would not. If someone has studied mold and has been educated in such things then it would be relatively safe to assume they would be abel to distinguish between harmless mold and dangerous mold.
Oh, okay! It seems that I may have misunderstood something. So much the better. It is not such an important point to continue debating about after all.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #36
Head Chef

If only a few minor spots, I'll cut off the mold and use the rest of the cheese. But with soft cheese, I also chuck it out.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #37
Master Chef

Boufa - I don't think it's "luck" at all. I just think that feta keeps just fine in an airtight container in the fridge. Perhaps certain types of feta differ, but commercial types store just fine this way.

Again - we might be speaking of different types of feta. When I buy fresh sheeps milk feta I use it so fast that I've never had to store it. :))
Old 01-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Judging by the general interest, this must have been one of the most successful and indeed most revealing thread in a long time. Now that it seems that most members have had their say, it's time for the unofficial statistics. Although there is no complete uniformity (if ever there was such a thing), the results are self-evident. Even faced with the threat of mold contamination, most members by far and large, with or without reservations, would not hesitate to cut the cheese. What a bunch! I am only too happy to be counted among the cheese-cutting crowd!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Cut it out... I am totally surprised that it took all the way to 4 pages for someone to get to the cheese cutting.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'm like everyone else. If it's hard cheese cut a good amount of the cheese off around the moldy part. Softer cheeses just toss the whole thing.