Nervous Around Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've cut the very tip, no bone, off the middle finger of my right hand 3 times, once in woodshop on the band saw and twice in the restaurant. It's quite sensitive and 1/4 inch shorter than it should be. "No brain, no brain!" Good thing I'm a lefty!

I've cut the very tip, no bone, off the middle finger of my right hand 3 times, once in woodshop on the band saw and twice in the restaurant. It's quite sensitive and 1/4 inch shorter than it should be. "No brain, no brain!" Good thing I'm a lefty!
Don't you hate that split second when you realize that you have cut yourself badly and you don't want to look? At first there really is no pain at all, until the throbbing starts after a while...:(

Last edited:
Don't you hate that split second when you realize that you have cut yourself badly and you don't want to look? At first there really is no pain at all, until the throbbing starts after a while...:(

In the woodshop incident, I just felt a tiny buzz on my finger and didn't notice until blood was all over my project. This was the first class offered to girls and the shop teacher was really mad, yelling about this is what happens when you let girls in the shop...he was discounting the year before when one of the boys lost a finger in the lathe.

But, yeah, I have noticed the complete lack of pain for the first 30 seconds or so. I lost it the second time in a lettuce cutter, round disc attachment, covered with three vertical blades and one horizontal. Made salad fast, but I had to throw out my morning's work that day...hard to wash blood off of cut lettuce. The third time I was learning how to trim steaks, the knife was so sharp I didn't notice until the dishwasher pointed it out.:LOL:

:LOL: So true!!
Oh, by the way, the doc told me I'd never grow that fingernail back (it did, in fact, grow back, you'd never guess which it was, as a matter of fact, I'm not sure which finger it was). But I always will think of that Navy doctor and her great come-back. It was one of those moments when you just say, hey, there was a reason for some of the women's rights movement. In fact, both my husband (now of almost 30 years) and the man we were staying with (a friend of my husband's of a decade more than that) are both great cooks, it was just the off chance that I was slicing the sausage and had enough to drink over the previous few days that I bled like a ... well, a busted water pipe.

sometime weight of the knife is important. Hold your knife... feel whether you are comfortable with the knife

Back
Top Bottom