"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't know yet Jenny, but I think he will be smart enough to have it where it will do the most good. It certainly will be best served on a bus line. And I hope he gets approval for accepting EBT cards. And if it becomes a big success like I think it will, we may see more of these stores out in Springfield, Chelsea, and other towns in need of such a place.

Marilyn, the woman who runs our local food bank has told me some very funny stories about some of the customers who show up every month. One comes with her grocery list. Wants only certain brands. No house brands. Goes home with half of what she is entitled to for her family. Another checks every item in her bags for "sell by" dates. No expirations dates for her. And then there is the family that has a large number of children. Thinking they wouldn't receive enough food for their whole family, decided to break up the family. The wife used her maiden name and claimed five of the kids. The father used his real name and claimed the other four kids. Both at the same address, but supposedly different apartments. Marilyn got wind of it and got the two of them together and explained how the banks works and how much food each family is entitled to. Had they claimed all of the children together as a family with two parents, they would have received more food. One old man didn't use all the food he was given and at the end of the month returned it. Wanted to know if he could get credit for it.

I am rooting for this venture. It is sorely needed in a lot of communities.
The local food banks in my area won't accept out-of-date donations, which is quite right. I accept that some people try to play the system but I still don't think it's fair that because people are poor they should be expected to accept things that the rest of us find unacceptable. On the subject of the waste of food perhaps we should be looking to stop the manufacturers pandering to the supermarkets in the matter of sell by/use by/best before dates and the supermarkets for overstocking their shelves with foods with a notional end of life date.

One of our local food banks has started offering basic cooking and meal planning courses to help mothers (and fathers) who want help to plan and produce inexpensive, nutritious food for their families. There is a long waiting list for places.

What used to be called Home Economics (cookery, food hygiene, meal planning, and other domestic skills) hasn't been taught in practical terms in British schools for many years and the powers that be are beginning to wake up to the idea that they made a big mistake in the past.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I find that half and half will start to curdle the minute it hits its expiration date.
My boss uses half and half until we throw it away 3 months after the use by date!! And he gets mad at us!!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I find that half and half will start to curdle the minute it hits its expiration date.
The 10% cream that we buy at Costco usually has a date a bit more than 2 months in the future. We have never gotten to that date without using it up first.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Oh, it's too vile to consider, even if there were no risk.
There is a difference between "just sour" and "vile". I've baked with spoiled milk for ages, as recently as within the last six months. The end product is always yummy, the fact that the milk was sour is never detectable, and we've never so much as gotten a funny taste in our mouths or an upset stomach. After all, that <cup of milk and other ingredients baked in the oven on 350 + degrees for at least 20 minutes.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
There is a difference between "just sour" and "vile". I've baked with spoiled milk for ages, as recently as within the last six months. The end product is always yummy, the fact that the milk was sour is never detectable, and we've never so much as gotten a funny taste in our mouths or an upset stomach. After all, that <cup of milk and other ingredients baked in the oven on 350 + degrees for at least 20 minutes.
I think your milk must actually sour. My mum used to eat sour milk when I was a kid. But, what the milk we buy nowadays does isn't the same thing. Okay, it's been a long time since any milk has gone off at my house. We go through it awfully fast. But, I remember seeing/smelling milk that had gone off that was absolutely vile. It was NOT sour milk.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
The local food banks in my area won't accept out-of-date donations, which is quite right. I accept that some people try to play the system but I still don't think it's fair that because people are poor they should be expected to accept things that the rest of us find unacceptable.
I wouldn't say that the rest of us find this food unacceptable. I think people who are knowledgeable about food safety don't find it a problem at all. I know I don't. I also know that life is not fair and it doesn't help to expect that it should be.

Quote:
On the subject of the waste of food perhaps we should be looking to stop the manufacturers pandering to the supermarkets in the matter of sell by/use by/best before dates and the supermarkets for overstocking their shelves with foods with a notional end of life date.
Pandering to the supermarkets, or to the consumers?

Quote:
One of our local food banks has started offering basic cooking and meal planning courses to help mothers (and fathers) who want help to plan and produce inexpensive, nutritious food for their families. There is a long waiting list for places.
We have lots of agencies that try to do this.

Quote:
What used to be called Home Economics (cookery, food hygiene, meal planning, and other domestic skills) hasn't been taught in practical terms in British schools for many years and the powers that be are beginning to wake up to the idea that they made a big mistake in the past.
We used to have that, too. I remember sewing a hem on a skirt in study hall because that was the only homework I had I think some areas have Life Skills or some such classes, but the U.S. is a large country and education is pretty much up to states and localities, so requirements and curricula aren't very consistent from one area to another.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #47
Executive Chef

I think I may have the answer to why CG's milk sours and Taxlady's as well as mine become "vile" (I just call it rotten) it may be that CG uses milk with a higher fat content. It is my experience that foods with higher fat content last much longer than their "best by" or expiry date. I find that sour cream, 1/2 & 1/2 and whipping/heavy cream last well beyond their printed dates. We use 1% milk and it's lucky IMO to make it to its expiry date (personally I won't drink it, if its been in the house longer than 3 or 4 days, DH will drink it just about up until it begins to get chunks Yuk!
So here is the question For Taxy and CG what's your poison, 1% , 2% or whole milk? (known as Homo in Canada, I believe)
Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #48
Head Chef

I just want to jump in with all this and ask...why is it years ago milk products used to last a good 5 days beyond their use date (at least milk did) ? Nowadays, a day or two past that exp date and my opened Reduced Fat milk starts to taste a little different. Does milk turn bad sooner these days?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I just want to jump in with all this and ask...why is it years ago milk products used to last a good 5 days beyond their use date (at least milk did) ? Nowadays, a day or two past that exp date and my opened Reduced Fat milk starts to taste a little different. Does milk turn bad sooner these days?
Good point. Sometimes my milk starts to turn a day or two before the date I always give it the sniff test when it starts getting close to the date.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #50
Master Chef

I look at the date as an indicator of how long an unopened container will be good to use.

For an open container I try not to go beyond five days.

One thing none of us can control is how the milk was treated before we brought it home. If it was not properly stored on its trip from the farm to the store it could go off much sooner.

IMHO milk keeps much longer and tastes much better when bottled in glass. We still have one local dairy store, Byrne Dairy, that uses glass returnable containers.

Tags
food