New Grocery Store to Exclusively Sell Expired Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say that such a store would be in a sticky situation. Those labels are there for safety and they often err on the side of caution. The article doesn't say but I would hope that the employees of that store inspect their products before they let them out the door...or have the inform the customers of the potential dangers and have them sign a waiver at the entrance.

Actually, it most likely is. Mrs Hoot and I go 'round and 'round about the dates on the packaging of foods. It is mighty confusing to folks. For the most part, all the dates on the packaging are designed for the manufacturers and vendors. The following is from The United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service
Even the "Best Used By" date does not necessarily mean it is unsafe, just peak quality may not be evident after that date, which I suspect, is not based on research and varies from provider to provider and probably store to store. JMHO

I would say that such a store would be in a sticky situation. Those labels are there for safety and they often err on the side of caution. The article doesn't say but I would hope that the employees of that store inspect their products before they let them out the door...or have the inform the customers of the potential dangers and have them sign a waiver at the entrance.

As the article makes clear:

"The dates were never designed to indicate the microbial safety of the product, but were instead supposed to suggest when the product would be at its peak in terms of freshness and flavor."

"Emily Broad Leib, co-author of the report and and director of Harvard Food Law & Policy clinic, adds: “This is about quality, not safety. You can make your own decision about whether a food still has an edible quality that’s acceptable to you.”

I live in Dorchester, where the store will be located and I think it's a great idea.

I do check the "Best by.." dates on food packages, but I still depend mostly on my brain, nose and eyes to decide if something has actually expired. I think the "expired date" is different from the "use by.." date.
The other day I grabbed a can of chiles to make enchiladas, checked the date on the top of the can: January 14, 2014 (which just happens to be my sister's birthday) and went forward with the meal. When I went to open the can, I washed the top, put it on the counter and gave it the usually lid press with my thumbs and it went "clickity, click" which means to me it goes into the trash can immediately and I don't care what date is printed on the lid.

The one food I am leery of in cans is tomatoes or any tomato based food. I can't tell you how many times in my 50+ years of homemaking that I have picked up a can of tomato products from the store shelf that were swollen with botulism. Needless to say I would have the manager paged and hand him the can. Most of them had all cans removed from the shelf. Because if there was a failure of one can on the production line, then more than likely there were others.

I am sure that this gentleman will make sure that none of the products being sold are compromised. And as far as produce goes? Peel off the outer leaves on a head of lettuce and you have a smaller product that is still perfectly fit to eat.

The section of Dorchester where he is planning to put this store is located in one of the poorest sections of Boston. Good luck to him. I doubt he is going to be "Dumpster Diving" for his wares. He sees a big problem of hunger in this city and in his own way is trying to do something about it. Every month I take $10 from my food stamps to buy food for our local food bank. Now with the Federal Govt. shutdown there is concern about money coming in from the Federal Govt. to replenish our major food bank that supplies all of the small ones throughout eastern Massachusetts. More than ever, private citizens will be needed for their contribution. And for those who can't get to those food banks, there is the store in Dorchester that will be selling can goods at a reduced price. Kudos to him! :angel:

Last edited:
Most of the dates are "Best used by" date that the manufacture assures the product quality is there.

Canned foods are safe past that date but the quality might be diminished.

I think this is a great idea simply because I hate to see food go to waste.

And being offered at "massively discounted prices" seem like a win/ win for manufactures and those trying to make ends meet.

Fresh meats and produce could be iffy but when you've got folks to feed and limited means to do so this seems like a good idea.

Let's hope the managers won't allow truly spoiled food be offered.

"Emily Broad Leib, co-author of the report and and director of Harvard Food Law & Policy clinic, adds: “This is about quality, not safety. You can make your own decision about whether a food still has an edible quality that’s acceptable to you.”

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea too. There was a feature on the news lately, stating that we throw out way too much perfectly good food, due to too much reliance on Best By, Use By dates. The consensus was if it smells, looks, and tastes OK, and the can isn't poofed up, by all means use it.

I made some excellent chili the other day that included 2 cans of well-expired Rotel. I used to pitch any expired stuff, but haven't done that for awhile.

We actually had store just like that in down town St. Paul for nearly fifty years. The business was great. As far as safety concern in the 20 years I shopped there I have never had any health issues, maybe I was just lucky.
They finally went out of business last year some time. It was this economy we are living in right now that killed them not the safety of the food issues.

We actually had store just like that in down town St. Paul for nearly fifty years. The business was great. As far as safety concern in the 20 years I shopped there I have never had any health issues, maybe I was just lucky.
They finally went out of business last year some time. It was this economy we are living in right now that killed them not the safety of the food issues.

I could give you a dissertation on this but it's not related to chowing down on good eats. ;)

Properly canned food is safe to eat for a very long time. Perhaps it's time we relearn what our ancestors knew about the subject.

Not everything that is new is the only way. Sometimes we need to settle for what is within our means.

I've made a life of using things other folks have tossed aside. :eek:

I think this is a great idea too. There was a feature on the news lately, stating that we throw out way too much perfectly good food, due to too much reliance on Best By, Use By dates. The consensus was if it smells, looks, and tastes OK, and the can isn't poofed up, by all means use it.

I made some excellent chili the other day that included 2 cans of well-expired Rotel. I used to pitch any expired stuff, but haven't done that for awhile.
This isn't true. One of the most dangerous food poisoning organisms, Clostridium botulinum, responsible for botulism poisoning, is both tasteless and odourless. Ok if you are looking at a "blown" can but a bit worrying if it's a sandwich.

Anyway, does it matter if the quality or the flavour of the food have deteriorated, it'll only be bought by the poor and who in big business cares about them.

(Sarcasm off)

I think of "use by", "sell by", and "best before" dates as guidelines. Once my stuff hits that date it becomes a "musgo" (must go) and gets used up soon.

The one food I am leery of in cans is tomatoes or any tomato based food. I can't tell you how many times in my 50+ years of homemaking that I have picked up a can of tomato products from the store shelf that were swollen with botulism. Needless to say I would have the manager paged and hand him the can. Most of them had all cans removed from the shelf. Because if there was a failure of one can on the production line, then more than likely there were others.

I am sure that this gentleman will make sure that none of the products being sold are compromised. And as far as produce goes? Peel off the outer leaves on a head of lettuce and you have a smaller product that is still perfectly fit to eat.

The section of Dorchester where he is planning to put this store is located in one of the poorest sections of Boston. Good luck to him. I doubt he is going to be "Dumpster Diving" for his wares. He sees a big problem of hunger in this city and in his own way is trying to do something about it. Every month I take $10 from my food stamps to buy food for our local food bank. Now with the Federal Govt. shutdown there is concern about money coming in from the Federal Govt. to replenish our major food bank that supplies all of the small ones throughout eastern Massachusetts. More than ever, private citizens will be needed for their contribution. And for those who can't get to those food banks, there is the store in Dorchester that will be selling can goods at a reduced price. Kudos to him! :angel:

Addie. ... Where is the store going to be?

Dorchester is Boston's largest neighborhood and its most diverse.

It's home to million dollar houses and poverty, although probably not as abject as other neighborhoods.

I live in a very Irish working class neighborhood which is not in need of this but I am totally supportive of it.

Little Martin Richard, killed by the marathon bombers, was my neighbor. :-(

This isn't true. One of the most dangerous food poisoning organisms, Clostridium botulinum, responsible for botulism poisoning, is both tasteless and odourless. Ok if you are looking at a "blown" can but a bit worrying if it's a sandwich.

Has there ever been a case of botulism caused by a sandwich ?

Not much different than my local Dead Bread store or the marked down meat in my local grocery store, I would give it a try.

I agree with Zagut, I too have done quite nicely grazing on the fringe of society.

"Anyway, does it matter if the quality or the flavour of the food have deteriorated, it'll only be bought by the poor and who in big business cares about them.

(Sarcasm off)"

Big Business???

Another dissertation not food related.:neutral:

Not only the poor would buy it because I assure you if the price is right I'd happily buy it. ;)

"I think of "use by", "sell by", and "best before" dates as guidelines."

And that's how it should be because that's what they are. A Guidline. There are no magic numbers.:rolleyes:

To each his/her own. :)

Aunt Bea, It can be fun now can't it? :bounce:

Anyway, does it matter if the quality or the flavour of the food have deteriorated, it'll only be bought by the poor and who in big business cares about them.

(Sarcasm off)

This statement makes me uncomfortable, MC. It's not about big business, it's about saving perfectly good food that's about to go to waste. Anyone can buy it.

:LOL: Aunt B, "Dead Bread store" :LOL:

Last edited:
Addie. ... Where is the store going to be?

Dorchester is Boston's largest neighborhood and its most diverse.

It's home to million dollar houses and poverty, although probably not as abject as other neighborhoods.

I live in a very Irish working class neighborhood which is not in need of this but I am totally supportive of it.

Little Martin Richard, killed by the marathon bombers, was my neighbor. :-(

I don't know yet Jenny, but I think he will be smart enough to have it where it will do the most good. It certainly will be best served on a bus line. And I hope he gets approval for accepting EBT cards. And if it becomes a big success like I think it will, we may see more of these stores out in Springfield, Chelsea, and other towns in need of such a place.

Marilyn, the woman who runs our local food bank has told me some very funny stories about some of the customers who show up every month. One comes with her grocery list. Wants only certain brands. No house brands. Goes home with half of what she is entitled to for her family. Another checks every item in her bags for "sell by" dates. No expirations dates for her. And then there is the family that has a large number of children. Thinking they wouldn't receive enough food for their whole family, decided to break up the family. The wife used her maiden name and claimed five of the kids. The father used his real name and claimed the other four kids. Both at the same address, but supposedly different apartments. Marilyn got wind of it and got the two of them together and explained how the banks works and how much food each family is entitled to. Had they claimed all of the children together as a family with two parents, they would have received more food. One old man didn't use all the food he was given and at the end of the month returned it. Wanted to know if he could get credit for it.

I am rooting for this venture. It is sorely needed in a lot of communities. :angel:

(Sarcasm off)

I'm not sure I even understand your point ?

Offering cheap groceries in a food desert isn't a good thing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom