"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Question New Grocery Store to Exclusively Sell Expired Food

Can this be safe??

New Grocery Store to Exclusively Sell Expired Food | One Green Planet

Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I would say that such a store would be in a sticky situation. Those labels are there for safety and they often err on the side of caution. The article doesn't say but I would hope that the employees of that store inspect their products before they let them out the door...or have the inform the customers of the potential dangers and have them sign a waiver at the entrance.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Actually, it most likely is. Mrs Hoot and I go 'round and 'round about the dates on the packaging of foods. It is mighty confusing to folks. For the most part, all the dates on the packaging are designed for the manufacturers and vendors. The following is from The United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service
Even the "Best Used By" date does not necessarily mean it is unsafe, just peak quality may not be evident after that date, which I suspect, is not based on research and varies from provider to provider and probably store to store. JMHO
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes View Post
I would say that such a store would be in a sticky situation. Those labels are there for safety and they often err on the side of caution. The article doesn't say but I would hope that the employees of that store inspect their products before they let them out the door...or have the inform the customers of the potential dangers and have them sign a waiver at the entrance.

As the article makes clear:

"The dates were never designed to indicate the microbial safety of the product, but were instead supposed to suggest when the product would be at its peak in terms of freshness and flavor."

"Emily Broad Leib, co-author of the report and and director of Harvard Food Law & Policy clinic, adds: “This is about quality, not safety. You can make your own decision about whether a food still has an edible quality that’s acceptable to you.”

I live in Dorchester, where the store will be located and I think it's a great idea.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I do check the "Best by.." dates on food packages, but I still depend mostly on my brain, nose and eyes to decide if something has actually expired. I think the "expired date" is different from the "use by.." date.
The other day I grabbed a can of chiles to make enchiladas, checked the date on the top of the can: January 14, 2014 (which just happens to be my sister's birthday) and went forward with the meal. When I went to open the can, I washed the top, put it on the counter and gave it the usually lid press with my thumbs and it went "clickity, click" which means to me it goes into the trash can immediately and I don't care what date is printed on the lid.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The one food I am leery of in cans is tomatoes or any tomato based food. I can't tell you how many times in my 50+ years of homemaking that I have picked up a can of tomato products from the store shelf that were swollen with botulism. Needless to say I would have the manager paged and hand him the can. Most of them had all cans removed from the shelf. Because if there was a failure of one can on the production line, then more than likely there were others.

I am sure that this gentleman will make sure that none of the products being sold are compromised. And as far as produce goes? Peel off the outer leaves on a head of lettuce and you have a smaller product that is still perfectly fit to eat.

The section of Dorchester where he is planning to put this store is located in one of the poorest sections of Boston. Good luck to him. I doubt he is going to be "Dumpster Diving" for his wares. He sees a big problem of hunger in this city and in his own way is trying to do something about it. Every month I take $10 from my food stamps to buy food for our local food bank. Now with the Federal Govt. shutdown there is concern about money coming in from the Federal Govt. to replenish our major food bank that supplies all of the small ones throughout eastern Massachusetts. More than ever, private citizens will be needed for their contribution. And for those who can't get to those food banks, there is the store in Dorchester that will be selling can goods at a reduced price. Kudos to him!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

Most of the dates are "Best used by" date that the manufacture assures the product quality is there.

Canned foods are safe past that date but the quality might be diminished.

I think this is a great idea simply because I hate to see food go to waste.

And being offered at "massively discounted prices" seem like a win/ win for manufactures and those trying to make ends meet.

Fresh meats and produce could be iffy but when you've got folks to feed and limited means to do so this seems like a good idea.

Let's hope the managers won't allow truly spoiled food be offered.

"Emily Broad Leib, co-author of the report and and director of Harvard Food Law & Policy clinic, adds: “This is about quality, not safety. You can make your own decision about whether a food still has an edible quality that’s acceptable to you.”
Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think this is a great idea too. There was a feature on the news lately, stating that we throw out way too much perfectly good food, due to too much reliance on Best By, Use By dates. The consensus was if it smells, looks, and tastes OK, and the can isn't poofed up, by all means use it.

I made some excellent chili the other day that included 2 cans of well-expired Rotel. I used to pitch any expired stuff, but haven't done that for awhile.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Master Chef

We actually had store just like that in down town St. Paul for nearly fifty years. The business was great. As far as safety concern in the 20 years I shopped there I have never had any health issues, maybe I was just lucky.
They finally went out of business last year some time. It was this economy we are living in right now that killed them not the safety of the food issues.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
We actually had store just like that in down town St. Paul for nearly fifty years. The business was great. As far as safety concern in the 20 years I shopped there I have never had any health issues, maybe I was just lucky.
They finally went out of business last year some time. It was this economy we are living in right now that killed them not the safety of the food issues.

I could give you a dissertation on this but it's not related to chowing down on good eats.

Properly canned food is safe to eat for a very long time. Perhaps it's time we relearn what our ancestors knew about the subject.

Not everything that is new is the only way. Sometimes we need to settle for what is within our means.

I've made a life of using things other folks have tossed aside.

Tags
food