No money, plus slightly spoiled meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ninjasalad

Assistant Cook
Hey there people, I am currently having money problems. I have a chunk of meat in my freezer, that yesterday, just started to smell a bit off.

I am wondering if there is any safe way to cook, and then consume it. Taste is not an issue here.

Thanks for your time.

(This is dumb I know, but in times of need and hunger, I will eat anything... including spoiled meat! If there is a safe way of cooking it anyway.)

I am not sure the best way to cook meat that has gone bad. I can not think of one way to cook that is safer than any other. I would just make sure at take that piece of meat to well done. I am sure it is much less safe eathing a piece of spoiled meat anything below well done.

I am not telling you it is a good idea to eat spoiled meat, but I understand if that is all you have than you have to make the best of it.

Well thank you, naturally my eating of bad food is my own fault. Would not take any given information to blame.

I thought of a way to make cheap soup, if you call it soup. Next time you are at the grocery store ask the butcher if he happens to have any bones he can give you for free. Tell him they are for your dog. I am not sure what butchers do with the bones after they fabricate meat, but it can't hurt to ask.

If you get the bones just put them in a big pot with cold water. Let it simmer for 3 to 4 hours if chicken bones, and 6 to 8 hours if veal bones. It is kind of like stock, but without all the seasoning and vegetables that go in it. Just add some noodles and you have a noodle soup.

Hey there people, I am currently having money problems. I have a chunk of meat in my freezer, that yesterday, just started to smell a bit off.

I am wondering if there is any safe way to cook, and then consume it. Taste is not an issue here.

Thanks for your time.

(This is dumb I know, but in times of need and hunger, I will eat anything... including spoiled meat! If there is a safe way of cooking it anyway.)

Where do you live? There are organizations that will assist you with food until you are able to get back on your feet. Post your location here and I will make some suggestions for you in a PM.

Also, how does frozen meat get "a bit off?" I'm just curious, because freezing is our way of preserving meat for long periods of time.

Best of luck.

I too am puzzled as to how a piece of frozen-solid meat can "smell a bit off".

If your freezer is functioning correctly & the meat is & has been frozen solid, then all you're looking at is freezer burn, which, while it does affect texture & taste, won't hurt you.

Now if your freezer is or has malfunctioned & the meat hasn't been frozen solid or has gone through periods of thawing & refreezing, then money or no money, I'd toss the meat. Even living on ramen noodles & veggies is better than food poisoning - a long hospital visit certainly isn't going to help your finances any.

I'm wondering if rather than it being spoiled it has a case of freezer burn. I would say it wouldn't hurt to try and cook it, at least defrost it, and see if the whole thing is bad or if it's just a spot.

I agree with calling around, even check with the electric company, they'll have lists of help agencies where you can get free food a couple times a month.

I thought of a way to make cheap soup, if you call it soup. Next time you are at the grocery store ask the butcher if he happens to have any bones he can give you for free. Tell him they are for your dog. I am not sure what butchers do with the bones after they quote]

many butchers sell them fer stock. i buy them often.

as for the meat, what color is it? is it brownish?

Frozen meat can be perfectly safe to eat yet get a funky smell from freezer burn and can pick up odors from other things in the freezer depending on how it is wrapped. So, if you took the meat out of the freezer, and it was frozen, and you had to sniff the wrapper - it's more than likely ok. If you opened the freezer door, the meat was not frozen, and you were slapped in the face with the stinch of decay - probably not safe to eat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom