"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

RN, too! Don't use anti-bacterials! Makes my job harder fighting infections in patients that have resistance. Soap and water only, needed.

A packet of plain baby wipes in your purse or bag for wiping things off when you are out of the house, if you feel the need.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Unfortunately, most of the hospital rooms I have been in lately have had the hand washing sinks removed.
Well, that's not good. So you can't see that they wash after dealing with you, so you don't know if it's likely they washed after the last patient. Economics, probably. The same economics mean they sure aren't putting a sink outside every patient room door, either. Too bad. Seems to me staff compliance has never been all that good when it was studied, almost always below 50%, while 90% agreed with the statement that handwashing was important and more than 60% thought they washed their hands about as much as their staff peers. What they really are saying is that they know they should and intend to do it, but when observed, they just don't do it very consistently.

I suspect that it's not too different from what you'd find if you studies home cooks. They'd generally be able to tell you the rules, and they they would tell you they follow them. But I'll bet most of us don't really follow them very well.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Every room has a sanitizer outside the door.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I saw, on the news, a while ago that a study showed that, of all hospital staff, doctors were the worst about not washing hands. They issued hand sanitizer, in small containers to put in their pockets, to the doctors. They were much better at using that and it made the patients feel better about the levels of sanitation, when they could see the doctors using the hand sanitizer.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hand Sanitizer is a gelled alcohol product, not anti-biotic, but anti-bacterial. It has boosted compliance with hand sanitation.

Hand sanitation is good, but it does not beat washing your hands regularly. I use the sanitizer in between doing different tasks with the same patient. Hand washing is done when I enter the room and leave the room. When I leave the floor and head to my office I wash my hands, again. When I leave the office to hit the floor, once again, I wash my hands.

Trust me, if I scratch my nose, I want to make sure my hands are clean, before and after.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hand Sanitizer is a gelled alcohol product, not anti-biotic, but anti-bacterial. It has boosted compliance with hand sanitation.
Well, okay, but I'm not convinced that won't help breed alcohol resistant bacteria.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Sous Chef

We are taught the proper procedure to wash hands in the nursing home but I can surely say that not everyone follows that rule. I would rather them use hand sanitizer then nothing at all if they are going to bypass it

Anywho, yes Addie I have a Lysol hand dispenser in my kitchen and bathroom. I love them but mine doesnt dingdong.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
Head Chef

Alcohol wipes were found to be about as effective as plain soap at dealing with bacteria. Not all bacteria, of course. In a notorious recall a while back, alcohol wipes were contaminated with a nasty bacteria, and deaths resulted.

Alcohol based hand sanitizers are very good, with the same proviso that not all bacteria are affected.

And alcohol doesn't inactivate all viruses, but it is pretty effective against most of the viruses you worry about outside a medical facility.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
RN, too! Don't use anti-bacterials! Makes my job harder fighting infections in patients that have resistance. Soap and water only, needed.

A packet of plain baby wipes in your purse or bag for wiping things off when you are out of the house, if you feel the need.
AMEN!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:

Hand sanitation is good, but it does not beat washing your hands regularly. I use the sanitizer in between doing different tasks with the same patient. Hand washing is done when I enter the room and leave the room. When I leave the floor and head to my office I wash my hands, again. When I leave the office to hit the floor, once again, I wash my hands.

Trust me, if I scratch my nose, I want to make sure my hands are clean, before and after.
Could we have a nickel for every time we wash our hands!!!!!! Would be enough $ to eradicate all germs! LOL!